Law Breakers

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

peteherbst

Law Breakers

Unread postby peteherbst » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm

So I was out scouting some public land today and set up some trail cameras around some promising areas. But after I got about a mile back, I came across a hang on stand with screw in steps in a tree. In Southern Wisconsin where I hunt, it is illegal to leave a stand up overnight let alone from season to season.

My question is, what would you do? Call it in to the DNR? Leave it? It’s definitely frustrating doing the leg work only to find someone else taking shortcuts. I don’t carry my setup in and out every hunt for my health, not to mention getting cameras/cards stolen at times by people with bad sportsmanship.

Just wondering where everyone comes out on this. I’m new to The Beast, but have high hopes for this year implementing the tactics and always learning as I go.

“You have to pay your dues”
Jackson Marsh

Re: Law Breakers

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm

You can report the gps coordinates to the warden for your county OR ignore it. I've done both.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 pm

If you dont report it they will probably get away with it.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Report! Hunters who can't follow simple rules usually don't follow any. I would notify the GW with coordinates and put that tree on your map as not worth hunting cause the guy will more than likely get a new stand and steps and go right back to the same tree.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Talked to a dnr last year about all the tree stands left up on Michigan public. He basically said they don’t have time and resources to police it. To catch the guys leaving the stands they have to either camp out all season, or just get lucky to have the right timing, and a lot of the times people don’t even come back. I asked if I could take them down and turn them in, and he said I better not. It really just depends how ambitious the Dnr are. When my brother was in the Dnr he would take stands down all the time but he said most other guys would not and especially the older ones did not worry about it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Take a picture, record the gps coordinates and then report it. Every single time I have reported this stuff the warden was more than happy to have the info and took care off it very quickly. He said usually those simple violations lead to much bigger cases like hunting after hours. Lawbreakers don't think the laws apply to them. Wardens can't be everywhere and really appreciate when we work with them.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I could go either way, at least if it's there I know where they are hunting. I tend to prefer that than not knowing. But each situation is different and if everyone called them in those guys would probably stop doing that
Make It Happen
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:46 am

Take pics, get GPS position and call the wardens in and if need be walk them to it and show them you want it taken down because it's breaking the law and your a law following hunter and tax payer and expect them to do their job.

I hunt public land 100% of the time and I find stands, food plots, salt blocks every year and what's sad is 90% of the time it's the same guys getting busted for the same thing every year.

Anouther reason I turn them in is at end of season wlf does a auction and I get to pick up lots of deer stands climbing sticks,feeders and other gear for dirt cheap and then I turn around and sell them for profit.

I have to follow the rules and laws to a T and so must everybody else, if they can't I will do my part as a ethical hunter to put them out of buisness.

If someone hunts public that should be their attitude as well, we don't have a right to that ground, we as hunters must pay yearly dues to have use of that ground and must follow the rules and laws over said ground.

It doesn't take many doing wrong for others doing right to lose their public ground.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks for the input guys. It's funny though, because even with that guy's stand out there, I still found some decent sign. Nothing too spectacular to my very untrained eye, but still sign. Makes me wonder if I could slip in before he tries to hunt it and get one early. I'll have to see what my cameras tell me an go from there. That is, as long as the camera/card is still there when I get back to check it.

Thanks again for the help!
“You have to pay your dues”
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 am

I would report it. Just leaving is only letting that guy know that he’s not going to get into trouble for breaking a law that he knows about. Another option is to climb up and remove the screw in steps but leave the stand. That way it reminds the guy he’s breaking the law and someone knows about it
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:27 am

peteherbst wrote:Thanks for the input guys. It's funny though, because even with that guy's stand out there, I still found some decent sign. Nothing too spectacular to my very untrained eye, but still sign. Makes me wonder if I could slip in before he tries to hunt it and get one early. I'll have to see what my cameras tell me an go from there. That is, as long as the camera/card is still there when I get back to check it.

Thanks again for the help!

This is how I like to do it. If its a great spot then probably smart to plan on out hunting others for it anyways. I was successful this way last year in a spot where the guy doesnt take his stand down. You mentioned decent sign so consider going in few weeks before season to revisit and maybe you can jump one or catch some tracks.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:08 am

I’m kinda mixed on the laws.99.9 percent of outdoorsman break some kind of law that some crazy guy behind a desk thought of. I do appreciate the wardens that try to do their jobs.

I’ve seen some climbers do far more damage to trees then screw in steps would do.

I think it’s safe to say legal or not everyone trims what they need too.

Putting a corn or mineral out in spring before antler fall is often vital to where we hunt the next fall to see what bucks made it through season.

Most people use trail tacks legal or not.

I think a lot of regulations are pretty rediculous and do not harm the woods anywhere near as much as logging or littering.

We can’t trim a tree but they can wipe 500 acres of forest off the earth the next fall. Seriously?

Take my state for example it is legal to kill a coyote any time of year. However it is illegal to carry a rifle into the woods after deer season. Shotgun size below 4 shot is also illegal. Some things just make zero sense.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I’m kinda mixed on the laws.99.9 percent of outdoorsman break some kind of law that some crazy guy behind a desk thought of. I do appreciate the wardens that try to do their jobs.

I’ve seen some climbers do far more damage to trees then screw in steps would do.

I think it’s safe to say legal or not everyone trims what they need too.

Putting a corn or mineral out in spring before antler fall is often vital to where we hunt the next fall to see what bucks made it through season.

I see alot of stands left where i hunt i have even reported them to be told they are too buisy and not concered with them. Honestly do you think game wardens are better off spending hundreds of hours removing treestands or spend that time fixing trails removing trees across roads.Picking up litter. Making sure the hiking trails are maintained. They are going to cater to what effects the majority of the people in the area.

Most people use trail tacks legal or not.

I think a lot of regulations are pretty rediculous and do not harm the woods anywhere near as much as logging or littering.

We can’t trim a tree but they can wipe 500 acres of forest off the earth the next fall. Seriously?

Take my state for example it is legal to kill a coyote any time of year. However it is illegal to carry a rifle into the woods after deer season. Shotgun size below 4 shot is also illegal. Some things just make zero sense.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am

If all I had to worry about was treestands left behind I would just count my blessings. It would do no good to report much around here i have been down that road. They have tore a bunch of wma gates down here and the ones they could not tear down they are drive atv's around. Its places with fixed stands that I don't wanna hunt anyway. Something I always keep In mind is maybe something happened. They got sick and couldn't get it or some family matter prevented them from returning. I'm sure that's hardly ever the case but we don't live in others shoes. I might also add that you probably don't have to worry much about someone who is no more dedicated than that.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am

with the decline in hunters this country has every year id rather see people enjoy the the spot and if that means they need to hang a stand with screw in steps so be it. we are our own worst enemy some times. now if that guy was taking deer illegally or other major violations that is bad for the wildlife then i might call but. who knows that guy might find a big buck you lost and tell you he found it when you walk out too the parking lot, or maybe he will jump start your car one day. who knows he might be a real good guy. i just try to treat every man and woman with respect and curtsy till proven otherwise.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”