Opening Day of bow season - yay or nay?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Opening Day of bow season - yay or nay?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
hambone wrote:I have two nieces. One of them got married, 5 hours away, last year while I was in my bowstand. The remaining niece is getting married on OPENING DAY! (No wonder the future of hunting is bleak). I have not missed opening day, since I started hunting. So this isnt easy for me, but I made a deal with my own self. If there is a N wind, I will be hunting. On any other wind, I will go to the wedding, since she came all the way home to tie the knot. So, the answer is, only if there is a North wind on Sept. 15th 2018, will I get to hunt.

Good to see you have priorities. :clap:

Even if it’s a different wind I’m betting the excitement of opening day will get the best of you and you will be out there. ;)

Anybody that knows me would for sure expect me to not attend if they got married on opening day of the archery season. My wife wanted a fall wedding but knew better than to plan for it after mid-September. There is a reason I got married on Sept 8th. It does fall during the bear season from time to time but my wife is OK with that. In 2006 we spent our anniversary at bear camp. Luckily I got a bear on opening day and then was able to spend the rest of the week doing things with her. It was a WIN WIN and everybody was happy. 8-)

My girlfriend is the same way. She sees a fall wedding as sacrificing one weekend. I see it as sacrificing a weekend of hunting every single year for the rest of my life. And we just can’t have that kind of negativity :naughty:

On the bear topic, when are you planning on going again?

My last tag was 2015 so hopefully in a few years if I draw for our 20th Anniversary. :lol:

the__morg
Facebook: Liam

Unread postby the__morg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 am

Opening day of bow season is a great time to sneak in on an unsuspecting buck. You might as well join the first rush of pressure!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

My wife wanted a fall wedding but I sweet talked her into a 4th of July Wedding. Worked out perfect and easy to remember!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
hambone wrote:I have two nieces. One of them got married, 5 hours away, last year while I was in my bowstand. The remaining niece is getting married on OPENING DAY! (No wonder the future of hunting is bleak). I have not missed opening day, since I started hunting. So this isnt easy for me, but I made a deal with my own self. If there is a N wind, I will be hunting. On any other wind, I will go to the wedding, since she came all the way home to tie the knot. So, the answer is, only if there is a North wind on Sept. 15th 2018, will I get to hunt.

Good to see you have priorities. :clap:

Even if it’s a different wind I’m betting the excitement of opening day will get the best of you and you will be out there. ;)

Anybody that knows me would for sure expect me to not attend if they got married on opening day of the archery season. My wife wanted a fall wedding but knew better than to plan for it after mid-September. There is a reason I got married on Sept 8th. It does fall during the bear season from time to time but my wife is OK with that. In 2006 we spent our anniversary at bear camp. Luckily I got a bear on opening day and then was able to spend the rest of the week doing things with her. It was a WIN WIN and everybody was happy. 8-)

My girlfriend is the same way. She sees a fall wedding as sacrificing one weekend. I see it as sacrificing a weekend of hunting every single year for the rest of my life. And we just can’t have that kind of negativity :naughty:

I had the same argument when I was getting married a few years ago- the venue we wanted only had September 8 and October 19 available for the whole next year. I pushed for September since that weekend is the rifle opener here in Georgia, and it's worked well until now... bow season opens on my anniversary this year, and to top it off we'll be in CT for a wedding. Late flight Sunday as well, so I can't even get in a hunt Sunday night. This hadn't bothered me much until this weekend, just checked cameras for the first time since May and have a good lead on 3 shooters. I ended up seeing them on an observation sit Saturday night too, and now I'm itching to get in the woods
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:40 am

flinginairos wrote:First day i'm swinging for the fences on the evening hunt! Seems to be my best chance at a buck if I had his bed nailed down!

X2
:violence-bowandarrow:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:26 pm

If I miss opening day I’m either dying or already dead :lol:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I hunt anytime i get a chance! Some of my most exciting hunts have been early season.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Hard yah. Typically a hot opener. I like to hit the creek crossings between the beans and bedding. Bow opener> Gun opener
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 am

MO is tough in Sept... its very tough to get huntable temps. That first cold front of the season is always the best though. Deer move like crazy. Last year I got screwed with temps 90*+ so im hoping this hot summer takes a dive... I dont trust anything weather wise until the week before bc last season Aug was amazing dipping into the low 80s, Sept was shaping up to be like Oct and it just took a U turn.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 am

Oct 1st you bet your but I will be in a tree.

Use the public land opening day crowd rush to your advantage, go early and set up between where they will hunt and where the deer will go.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 am

I have an update! My niece must've felt my vibes, over getting married on opening day. Because her wedding is at 11AM! Makin Uncle David proud! Now, if the Lord grants me the day, I will be hunting, regardless of the wind! Keepin the streak alive!!! :dance: I have a confession as well. :oops: I'm the dude who requested my wife have the baby (scheduled c-section) before opening day, took all his vacation during deer season, only got "sick" during deer season (I didn't like missin work), and scheduled all other bdays, dinners and family occasions around deer season. I used to wear that as a badge of honor. Not so much anymore. Which is why I originally told my own self, that I would go to Cede's wedding unless there was a N wind. Maybe I am getting soft, or possibly growing as a person. I'm not quite sure yet.
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Always, start looking forward to it on the last day of the previous season
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Always hunt opening day on a decent sized piece. I have a tradition for the last few years that I’ll continue to do for the rest of my hunting years. My wife had an uncle that lived to hunt. He passed on 4 years ago in September. So I get up a little early, stop at the cemetery and wish him good luck in the big swamp in the sky for bow and gun season opener. Not something I feel that I need to do, but something that feels right to do
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:

MO is tough in Sept... its very tough to get huntable temps. That first cold front of the season is always the best though. Deer move like crazy. Last year I got screwed with temps 90*+ so im hoping this hot summer takes a dive... I dont trust anything weather wise until the week before bc last season Aug was amazing dipping into the low 80s, Sept was shaping up to be like Oct and it just took a U turn.

Huntable temps. Lol. We open Aug 4 and last year was around 114* heat index.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:51 pm

PK_ wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:

Huntable temps. Lol. We open Aug 4 and last year was around 114* heat index.

Ha! No thanks. Used to do it and it sucked. Not 114 tho. I did have alot of fun in the end.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”