Your 1st DIY Out Of State (Public)

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Your 1st DIY Out Of State (Public)

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 am

Rancher43 wrote:I kinda want to experience again sleeping in a tent and “roughing it” but if I can locate a cheap room then I may consider that.

I’m hoping for atleast a 7-9 day hunt.

Think I listened to that episode of W2H but will tune in to it again.

Thanks again guys!

I've only got to hunt like that one time, while I was living in Hawaii, and hunted Axis deer. I shipped my truck to the island i was hunting packed full of everything but my bow. I found a place to set up camp and started scouting, never having seen let alone hunted axis before it was all learning for me. I had so much fun doing it that way and i even scored on a velvet buck on the opening morning.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Rancher43

Unread postby Rancher43 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Think I’m gonna skip this year and re-evaluate my destination and try to sharpen my skills with another year of hunting public land close to home.

Please keep the comments coming cause they do help! Thanks gang.
noxninja

Unread postby noxninja » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:20 am

so long ago I don't even remember if I killed or not! :lol:
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:57 am

Rancher43 wrote:Thanks for all the replies fellas. Think I’m gonna skip this year and re-evaluate my destination and try to sharpen my skills with another year of hunting public land close to home.

Please keep the comments coming cause they do help! Thanks gang.

The single best piece of advice I can offer up is just to go. Maybe not this year as late as it is in terms of planning, but pick your state and make it happen next year. Work in a scouting trip if at all possible this winter.

Keep a running packing list and add/ subtract to it as stuff comes up hunting this year. It'll take a few trips to get that dialled in, but is important for comfort and to maximize your time by not missing time in the woods to go to a store for something you didn't bring with you.

Keep expectations reasonable. Like has been said above, part of the allure of taking out of state trips is the trophy potential, but giants still don't live behind every tree.

Biggest thing, though, is to stop putting it off and just go do it. You won't regret it.
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”