Anyone been out?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BG_Bowhunter

Anyone been out?

Unread postby BG_Bowhunter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 am

Has anyone hit the public yet? I have got 7 cams rolling but haven't checked any of them yet, plan on letting them bake 6 weeks. I myself will start glassing next week. Anyone else getting fired up?

hokiehunter373

Re: Anyone been out?

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 am

Got one cam out right now, hoping to get 2 more out on a little piece of public I hunt. The one has been out for about a month so might give it a peek. Definitely ready for September to roll around.
Get me in the woods
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 am

Planning on making the trip next week to scout out some new areas. With the cams you set out, do you notice pattern changes from your pics to say opening of season as far as pressure goes? Or you just trying to see what's in the area and back track from there?
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am

Yeah went scouting in a swamp one Sunday morning earlier this month. Had to walk around 2 water moccasins and a copperhead. Pulled 2 ticks off my waistline after I got home and showered. Nasty lil buggers, I'm gonna spray down my clothes with permethrin today. I want to get out this weekend and fine tune what I found last time. I saw some deer but I'd like to find The deer!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm

I went out last week and put in a few miles. Mostly picking apart a bedding area for entry/exit on a deer I hope to get on opener. Bumped a deer from right where I thought it might be bedding, so that's cool. Also realized after seeing the grass hight (my first time seeing this property in green), that I would have to change my plan on how to hunt this spot.
I had no idea we had snakes the size of some of the bad boys I seen out in the marsh! Fortunately not much venom to worry about around here.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I have had one cam out since January on a remote island. Won’t be checking it till after the opener. It’s hopefully collecting intel on my number one buck I want to kill.

I’m up to six cams now so I better get the rest out soon since antlers are really developing already. Been doing some glassing and observation on a few bucks and gonna start hitting the late night shining this coming weekend.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:44 pm

I’ve been out a bunch the last month. Have 7 cams going, all on public. All are in really remote spots or at least a stick high, except one right on a field edge... worried about that one, but it’s one of those overlooked spots I don’t think anyone ever walks into, so I hope I’m safe with that not getting ripped off or the card taken. I had the card taken a few times over the past years when I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t use a stick or two to put them up. A couple of them I plan on retrieving early September from the heavily trafficked areas, but the remote ones I’m leaving until the season is over or if I hunt there.... lithium batteries and 32 gb cards!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Just got out again tonight glassing on way home from softball. What wife don't know won't hurt her :lol: saw 3 bucks but to far to tell what they were. Gunna try shining this weekend.
BG_Bowhunter

Unread postby BG_Bowhunter » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:48 am

flgahunter114 wrote:Planning on making the trip next week to scout out some new areas. With the cams you set out, do you notice pattern changes from your pics to say opening of season as far as pressure goes? Or you just trying to see what's in the area and back track from there?

I do. Depending on where the food is and where other hunters bump them around I'll see them travel well over a mile from augest to jan.
BG_Bowhunter

Unread postby BG_Bowhunter » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:50 am

Season always creeps up on us. I'm looking forward to some of the bucks that made it through 2017 season.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:26 am

Went out last weekend, found some good bedding in the upper third elevation on a new piece of public (along with a few ticks :lol: ) going to a different piece of public I’ve hunted for years this weekend to have a look in the swamps, May take a camera Though I normally don’t run any. I am more than fired up, was shooting both my recurve and compound for 2 hours last night (worth the mosquito bites).
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:37 am

I've had 3 cameras out since the beginning of the month. I've been scouting a couple days a week since mid-Feb. Also been glassing a half-dozen times. I've had one observation sit so far. I will continue observing, glassing & start shining next week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Trying summer cams out this year...new to me. JoeRE says 2 wks and on here most seem to like at least 30 days if not longer. Just trying to see whats around. Seen tons of family grps but no lg bucks so far. I learn something everytime I go out. Used to hate going out in the summer, but now I have a mission and dont wander aimlessly :lol: :lol:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 am

I went in the woods today to check a camera. I forgot my headnet and thought the Mosquito's were going to kill me. Not much for pics, a couple 2 year olds with very little growth for this time of year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Got this one on camera yesterday. He’s my #1 target buck.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”