"Totem Pole" buck rubs

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Have you ever found, "Totem Pole" buck rubs?

I have never found one.
47%
I have found one only.
4%
I have found more than one but less than 10.
33%
I have found more than 10 totem pole buck rubs.
16%

Total votes: 45
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: "Totem Pole" buck rubs

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Image

SB,

Here is one I found. Every year this cluster of silver maples gets hammered. You can see the old sign on the other trees next to it and the scarring that goes well above my head (I'm over 6 ft for reference). I found a monster dead in his bed the same year earlier in the season not 75 yards from this tree. This tree is right near a low water creek crossing that heads to food about 500 yards away.

Have you noticed if those rubs start popping up when green leafs start getting blown off? Around here the deer hammer those silver maple leafs. Haven't seen any rubs like that on mine though, just curious if they move in when they start blowing off or its just a coincidence they picked that tree. Good pic!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Image

SB,

Here is one I found. Every year this cluster of silver maples gets hammered. You can see the old sign on the other trees next to it and the scarring that goes well above my head (I'm over 6 ft for reference). I found a monster dead in his bed the same year earlier in the season not 75 yards from this tree. This tree is right near a low water creek crossing that heads to food about 500 yards away.

Have you noticed if those rubs start popping up when green leafs start getting blown off? Around here the deer hammer those silver maple leafs. Haven't seen any rubs like that on mine though, just curious if they move in when they start blowing off or its just a coincidence they picked that tree. Good pic!

It's very possible and a good assumption on why that cluster of trees is so important (Silver maples definitely a micro targeted food source). I'm usually 100 yards either to the north or south catching them going toward either food source that may be hot that year (Farm country so the food source they prefer rotates mid-late October). With that being said, I'm usually out of range to see when they first start hitting that tree and if it coincides with the leaf fall. I need to put a camera on it some year I tag out early season again.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:35 pm

There was a buck I was after a few yrs ago that was hooking the same trees year after year. He had one tree that he hit especially hard and was a totem pole type. His rubs would show up earlier than most, I caught him on cam each yr on pretty much the same day. I initially thought I was close to his bedding but learned from cams his rubs nearly all marked intersecting doe trails. He marked quite a few of them. He was killed a few seasons ago and the rubs have dried up. I had planned to be on his rut circuit that year but never got a chance
Make It Happen
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:57 pm

I have found a few signpost rubs and I’ve also found trees rubbed multiple years by the same buck. However, I have not found any trees with distinctly different rubs at varying heights. Seems most trees that receive perennial rubbing around here get drowned out by bucks rubbing over the old to the point you can’t tell where the old rub ended. Just able to tell it wasn’t the first time the tree got a thrashing.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 pm

I've found a few of these, as Dewey mentioned usually nearly secure primary bedding. I've also seen rubs on different trees in the same small area get higher every year, always a good sign.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 am

I’ve seen runs on utility poles.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 pm

i was out taking a walk today and found another sign post it was on a brook crossing between a big 50 acre pond and a beaver pond deer croos in brook when low water and over the beaver dam in high water in that spot. it is also just below a north facing point with a cluster of meadows on top. the post is on a couple trails that come from good buck bedding about a half mile away. im sure its night because its mostly open hardwoods. but the reason its there is because of the pinch all the bucks that want to run the meadows at night meet at that pinch. i think theirs about ten trails converging. i could be a possible morning spot to catch a lonely buck come later into the rut while hes traveling back to bedding. reason i see is that its a good place for him to pic up a track of a doe.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

alot of sign posts are hit buy more than one deer one good way to judge if a big one is using it is to look at the highest point its rubed deep then look for faint tine marks above it. then measure from the top of faint too top of deep rubs now you have an idea of rack height.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”