Going scouting soon.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AndyRoo
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/andyroo.lichtle?ref=bookmarks

Going scouting soon.

Unread postby AndyRoo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:08 am

I found a huge chunk of public land and I know the basics. I’m focusing on marshes surrounded by timber. There a bunch of pockets of marsh. I’m going to find a decent sized pocket with islands in it. My question is do I focus on just going in to those solo trees and look for bedding or observe from a distance? I don’t get out much to hunt but I really want to zero in on a good area and go from there. 2nd year going 100% beast mode. Last year seen a few mature deer but not close enough.Sit on Transitions? Get closer to the islands or look for the sign and stay back?

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Going scouting soon.

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 am

If you are scouting, this time of the year. I'm going straight into the bedding areas and finding the sign. No observations this time of the year for me. I'm checking the points, fingers, and transitions. Once I determine a spot I like I'm looking for possible trees that I can setup in. I'm also looking at multiple trees based on wind if you can. Also I'm looking at entry and exit routes. I hope this is what you're asking.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Going scouting soon.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:34 am

I would start in the areas you've already seen mature bucks in. Were they seen early season? Mid to late October? Prime rut? In big areas finding spots that hold mature bucks is a great first step. From your observations/hunts from last year try to find where the bucks were going to and coming from. This will help narrow down confirmed mature buck bedding.

And as northwoods said look for those transitions, brush/dogwood patches out in the cattails, brush off the tips/edges of islands etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”