Cyber Scouting Help

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

connorc9092
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/connor.choate.5

Cyber Scouting Help

Unread postby connorc9092 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:42 am

Just moved to a new state, so I'm going into this property with no previous hunting knowledge. I've been able to walk part of this property once and plan on going back today.

The "buck" symbol on the map is a confirmed buck bedding I found and the red circle is an area I've already gotten boots on the ground. I put other points on the map as just reference points to walk to and scout. On a side note, there were three stands on this bucks rub line leading back to his bed, just like Dan talks about on his video, most hunters hunt night sign. So, it was really awesome applying what I learned from the videos into my scouting and seeing it work! This property is archery only and no ATV's. It adjoins a very large WMA with high pressure and no restrictions, which I've yet to scout but plan on soon.

Would love some input on any other spots on this map I should pay attention to. I think, I found the 1/3 elevation of this property but it's hard to tell since the property is so steep.

This property is extremely steep and would like to hear anyone's approach to hunting this. How have you dealt with similar situations? Trail cameras? Worth it on a property like this or just search for bedding? Access, what's the best way to access this type of terrain? There are a couple of seasonal creeks on the property but the one at the base is normally full year round. How much attention should be paid to that?

Thanks in advance!

Link to photos: https://imgur.com/a/J7Xw3 OR https://imgur.com/gallery/J7Xw3

- CC
Bonehead

Re: Cyber Scouting Help

Unread postby Bonehead » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 am

I hunt some bluff country and do notice bucks will sometimes bed on top of a bluff right on the leeward edge (as close to the thermal tunnel as they can get) if there is enough cover.
Since you already marked a buck bed at 1/3rd elevation,
I would definitely walk that ridge at that elevation line and see what else you can find.
connorc9092

Unread postby connorc9092 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Bonehead wrote:I hunt some bluff country and do notice bucks will sometimes bed on top of a bluff right on the leeward edge (as close to the thermal tunnel as they can get) if there is enough cover.
I would definitely walk that ridge at that elevation line and see what else you can find.

Thank you for looking at this and giving me some feedback! I have to admit, hunting terrain like this is very overwhelming. I think the tops of the bluff are the most pressured, it seems there's more parking places and Hunter presence but I need to just walk the whole top bluff. Are you mostly accessing your stands from above or below? I've gone into the property both ways, legs hurt equally bad both times :D
- CC
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 am

connorc9092 wrote:
Bonehead wrote:I hunt some bluff country and do notice bucks will sometimes bed on top of a bluff right on the leeward edge (as close to the thermal tunnel as they can get) if there is enough cover.

Thank you for looking at this and giving me some feedback! I have to admit, hunting terrain like this is very overwhelming. I think the tops of the bluff are the most pressured, it seems there's more parking places and Hunter presence but I need to just walk the whole top bluff. Are you mostly accessing your stands from above or below? I've gone into the property both ways, legs hurt equally bad both times :D

Pressure will have the most effect on where a mature buck will bed. So it might be better bedding a little lower on the upper 1/3rd where you already marked some beds.
If you scout the top, just look near the edge of the bluff. I Usually find buck beds within 10 yards of the bluff here where I hunt.
I access from both the top and bottom. Just depends. In evening hunts, I prefer access from the bottom, but that’s not always possible.
connorc9092

Unread postby connorc9092 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Bonehead wrote:
connorc9092 wrote:

Pressure will have the most effect on where a mature buck will bed. So it might be better bedding a little lower on the upper 1/3rd where you already marked some beds.
If you scout the top, just look near the edge of the bluff. I Usually find buck beds within 10 yards of the bluff here where I hunt.
I access from both the top and bottom. Just depends. In evening hunts, I prefer access from the bottom, but that’s not always possible.

This is great advice. I will try this tomorrow when I go out!
- CC

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”