Trouble finding buck beds. Prevailing wind, where do they bed in off winds?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountainpublic

Re: Trouble finding buck beds. Prevailing wind, where do they bed in off winds?

Unread postby Mountainpublic » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm

That is too hard to see. I'll try to resize.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:16 pm

In mountainous terrain wind might be prevailing, or coming from a certain direction but not doing that exactly where your standing. Thats actually quite often the case. Wind will change based on terrain, as will thermals in some cases. But, it is predictable, and a consistent occurrence. So in some cases you may have a west wind but the area your scouting is getting a wind from the north as the wind bends around tree and rock formations and hits the current thermal activity... So bedding will relate to the wind at ground level there.

Combine this with thermals and it can change at certain times of the day. Some areas the thermal drop and the wind will be the same, this can have consistent worn bedding. Some areas it changes several times a day, and bucks will shift around in a small area as the wind changes. Bedding may or may not be consistent in this type of area, but it will be harder to see and less worn whether its getting bedded a lot or a little.

In some areas the wind will be more one directional and there will be a lack of leeward places to bed without the buck moving miles away... In this case you need to also understand how they bed based on cover and terrain. So, you need to know big woods type bedding, farm bedding, swamp bedding, etc... Cause in every terrain there is a mix of bedding that goes back to other types of bedding.

Wind could be blowing up the mountain so they pick an edge of a thick woods looking up... etc.

Probably the best bedding in mountain terrain will be found on small over looked flat benches in otherwise steep terrain.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:37 am

Mountainpublic, you should try to posting your images using the photo gallery located on the home page of the hunting beast forum, it's the top tab. If I remember correctly you'll have to create a profile / user ID and password. Once you've created your account, upload your file/image. Once you've uploaded your image, open it, right click on it and select "copy image address". After that you can use the "insert image icon" (mountain / sun) to imbed your image in your post, just past the link in between the [img]'s . Hope this helps. Remember to use your preview button to check.
Mountainpublic

Unread postby Mountainpublic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I got too fixated on the leeward edges. I'll be looking at some other terrain features and cover.
I follow the Penn State biologists blog. They have a lot of deer collared and sometimes post their movements. I re-watched some more of the buck movement videos and can see that through the fall, during the day the buck's position is indeed almost always on the east side. For sure a fair amount of those days did not have the prevailing west wind. I did notice they are sometimes lower on the hill. I'll start looking for some lower beds.
Dan you mentioned the buck shifting positions during wind changes. Are those shifts ever big enough to specifically hunt a wind shift event? Hoping to catch a deer relocating only for the reason to re-bed safely?
Tedd

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”