Eastern Kentucky public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swelch

Eastern Kentucky public

Unread postby Swelch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Been doing some aerial scouting of the Daniel Boone national forest and there's a lot to take in for that area. Since it looks like most of the access is ridgetop access and the hills in the area have sheer bluffs coming off of those. How would you go about hunting the creek bottoms and accessing those places without getting busted. I'm going to put boots on it as soon as I can get some time away from this oilfield but locating bedding is going to be a whole new challenge in this place

Hatchet Jack

Re: Eastern Kentucky public

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 pm

thats a wild place for sure. get a good headlamp, its got some bad mamma jammin bluffs and drop offs that you dont want to be running into in the dark. ive never hunted it but have stayed at the parks hotel a few times. theres talks of cougars in that area, and the black bear pop is on the rise so id look into carrying a piece if going during bow season.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 am

I've had lots of experienced with bears lol those guys aren't anything to mess with at all and the terrain is as rugged as any I've ever hunted before so it's going to be a challenge to pattern the bedding around there for sure. I've found several in the mountains behind the house but there's a lot of easy access so I figure it will be hit pretty hard come season. Just want to get out into more remote areas away from the general public
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 am

I've map scouted it some. That type of hill country with tons of good points has proven to be difficult for me to find good beds in. They just have so many options for any given wind, beds aren't well defined.

I think I would start by focusing on the steepest and thickest areas. I know there is some clearcut in the area. Also, any sort of military crest or bench should help narrow down bedding.
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 am

The only problem with that is the military crest is sometimes halfway down the hill from the top because of the steel drop off from the ridge line I'm hoping to get out of here soon for a few weeks and get some good scouting in before the weather gets hot
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am

are you close to the beattyville/boonville area?
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am

Live in stanton but around the clifty wilderness area was where I'm looking at going this fall.
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 am

Daniel Boone is a beast to hunt due to its size the deer have some many options for bedding and feeding. I use the horse trails , hiking trails and old government roads for access. The pressure is usually not bad during bow season but come modern gun it’s hit hard in the easy to reach places. I focous on saddles and cliff gaps a lot since bedding and feeding can be almost anywhere. Places that force deer trough seems more productive for me. For bedding look for mountain laurel around points and white oaks near which is basically all over. Good luck
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 am

Halonhunter6 wrote:Daniel Boone is a beast to hunt due to its size the deer have some many options for bedding and feeding. I use the horse trails , hiking trails and old government roads for access. The pressure is usually not bad during bow season but come modern gun it’s hit hard in the easy to reach places. I focous on saddles and cliff gaps a lot since bedding and feeding can be almost anywhere. Places that force deer trough seems more productive for me. For bedding look for mountain laurel around points and white oaks near which is basically all over. Good luck

Appreciate the info it defiantly is going to be a steep learning curve for sure

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”