Tree saddles

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sdonx

Re: Tree saddles

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 am

Did they add Speed Tree Climbing to the Olympics? :shock: :D :lol:

Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 am

ontario farmer wrote:
I sold you those three. I guess you do not like the WE steps. What is your reason. Too big of a pain to get attached??? Too many attachment points. Too slow??? I guess that is why I do not like them as much as a light stick. Packablilty is great with wild edge steps and is the main advantage. Aiders can be used with sticks too. I get can get 24 feet with three sticks and aiders.

I would've lent them and had them shipped back. So far I just haven't practiced enough with them yet to get good at tying them. I either tie it too tight and I can't cam it over or I tie it too lose and it shifts on me. I haven't built the skill yet where I can get them just right.

My challenge is the aider part with them. If you didn't want to do the cain method, so you could skip the one at waist level, what do you attach the aider to? As soon as you're standing on it it's impossible to reach down and unclip the aider. I tried doing the redsquirel aider and the ropeman would hit the stepp. So I changed to a prusik and the biner hit the stepp. Too much noise for me.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong lads?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 am

sdonx wrote:Did they add Speed Tree Climbing to the Olympics? :shock: :D :lol:

hahahaha agreed. I don't care about speed. I just want consistent, quiet, light and packable.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

Babshaft wrote:
ontario farmer wrote:
I sold you those three. I guess you do not like the WE steps. What is your reason. Too big of a pain to get attached??? Too many attachment points. Too slow??? I guess that is why I do not like them as much as a light stick. Packablilty is great with wild edge steps and is the main advantage. Aiders can be used with sticks too. I get can get 24 feet with three sticks and aiders.

I would've lent them and had them shipped back. So far I just haven't practiced enough with them yet to get good at tying them. I either tie it too tight and I can't cam it over or I tie it too lose and it shifts on me. I haven't built the skill yet where I can get them just right.

My challenge is the aider part with them. If you didn't want to do the cain method, so you could skip the one at waist level, what do you attach the aider to? As soon as you're standing on it it's impossible to reach down and unclip the aider. I tried doing the redsquirel aider and the ropeman would hit the stepp. So I changed to a prusik and the biner hit the stepp. Too much noise for me.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong lads?

The aider is attached to the tree...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 am

Babshaft wrote:

hahahaha agreed. I don't care about speed. I just want consistent, quiet, light and packable.

Lol. I find that while I'm climbing in pretty oblivious to my surroundings, and once I'm set up its another 10-15 minutes setting up camera gear so I like to minimize climbing time where I can.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
Babshaft wrote:

Lol. I find that while I'm climbing in pretty oblivious to my surroundings, and once I'm set up its another 10-15 minutes setting up camera gear so I like to minimize climbing time where I can.

Definitely didn't consider the camera time. In that case, speed would be of the essence. Heck, I've already made a pretty demanding list so may as well add speed to it as well. I'm sure it'd be frustrating to have spent a lot of time climbing and have deer going past you while you're trying to set up.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:44 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

That's what I tried anyways. I set a stepp as high as I can reach. I attached a six step aider to a tether that I place above the stepp. I had a hard time avoiding metal to metal contact with the ropeman and the stepp and the biner and the stepp. Just realized that's probably my problem. If I were to set it below the stepp I'd avoid the noise.

How are you attaching it to the tree?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Babshaft wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

That's what I tried anyways. I set a stepp as high as I can reach. I attached a six step aider to a tether that I place above the stepp. I had a hard time avoiding metal to metal contact with the ropeman and the stepp and the biner and the stepp. Just realized that's probably my problem. If I were to set it below the stepp I'd avoid the noise.

take some climbing rope and pass it threw the aider loop at top then tie the ends off with a double fisherman's knot so you have a loop. I then wrap it in electrical tape to geep the knot together and tags down then pull rope around the rung in step then pull the aider threw loop. beaner is eliminated its a larks head done with a continues loop. you can also skip the step and go direct to tree with a bigger loop. its how you tie a d loop on a bow and works great for a tent stake also. youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6STq_wDp8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXG9Xv5eEuA
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Babshaft wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Tether is above the stepp as high as you can reach. Stepp is high but comfortable enough to tie the knot. Approximately 6.5 foot spacing.
ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:45 pm

[quote="BassBoysLLP"][quote="Babshaft"][quote="ontario farmer"]

I would've lent them and had them shipped back.
That is not what we agreed to but I would be happy to do that if that if he wants. :D
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

take some climbing rope and pass it threw the aider loop at top then tie the ends off with a double fisherman's knot so you have a loop. I then wrap it in electrical tape to geep the knot together and tags down then pull rope around the rung in step then pull the aider threw loop. beaner is eliminated its a larks head done with a continues loop. you can also skip the step and go direct to tree with a bigger loop. its how you tie a d loop on a bow and works great for a tent stake also. youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6STq_wDp8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXG9Xv5eEuA
you can even make two big loops like that and climb a tree with a saddle like that and without aiders or steps just use your rope for bridge and sit in saddle and slide the loops up tree then stand on loops lean back on linemen's rope then move tether up tree works with or without limbs.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:11 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

you can even make two big loops like that and climb a tree with a saddle like that and without aiders or steps just use your rope for bridge and sit in saddle and slide the loops up tree then stand on loops lean back on linemen's rope then move tether up tree works with or without limbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkAMZo5ggI&t=149s like this but with a rope for each foot and a dienema rope or old seatbelt that does not stretch and a larks head to choke the tree
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll give them all a try when I'm out tomorrow!

Cheers!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:56 pm

I just retried Bass's multistep aider setup. It actually went pretty well. Definitely very key to keep the lineman's rope tight to keep the body vertical. That made a huge difference for balance and stability. I'll keep playing around with it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Tether is above the stepp as high as you can reach. Stepp is high but comfortable enough to tie the knot. Approximately 6.5 foot spacing.

So you are draping your aider over the Stepp to have a standoff from the tree? Otherwise the it would be almost impossible to get your feet in the aider being tied right to the tree. :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”