Public Proximity

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: Public Proximity

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 am

rizzo999 wrote:My story is kind of the opposite!

I was hunting opening day of IL gun season last year on public land with my 70 yr old Dad when I was fortunate enough to put down a decent buck in the AM. I had my Dad remain with the buck to reserve his energy for the crappy uphill drag we had remaining to get the buck up to the field edge while I walked back to my truck to grab my deer cart. I got back to my truck in the parking lot with 8 other trucks and shed a couple layers about 7:30-8:00 AM. As I walk to the back to grab the cart I noticed blaze orange at the edge of the parking lot out of the corner of my eye. Initially, I just assumed it was from one of the other trucks. I get the cart set-up and take another look in that direction. There is a guy sitting on a folding outdoor chair right off of the parking lot so I walk over to see if he had luck also. I walk up to him and I can hear him snoring! I tapped him scaring the crap out of him. He then tells me he saw a doe out in the field when they pulled into the lot in the dark so he decided to set-up right there. The best parts were that he was a lot younger than me (I'd guess around 30) and that the only thing he had seen since the sun came up was the inside of his eye lids cause he'd been sleeping all morning! Then the young dude refused to help me get my buck out of the woods even though I offered to show him where I killed the buck and saw 8 other deer including another 2 decent bucks that morning alone.

He was probably hungover or high, probably high as he sounds pretty lazy.

1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Hey guys first post but been reading for a while... my buddy and I hunt public and use a boat for access as much as possible, a few years ago it was mid november and we were planning to stay on stand till 1:00... as morning turned into early afternoon the wind started to pick up, I had seen a small buck chasing some does earlier in the day and I caught movement at about 80 yds out... then I recognized that it was a person and closing fast almost jogging... at the time I couldn't tell what he had on his back, his closed looked really ragged and thought maybe he was homeless. a few seconds after I see him he leans up against a tree and takes a crap, fortunately he was partially blocked by some honeysuckle. When he was done just stood up and took off as fast as he came in, I was laughing so hard I didn't know what to do, I called my buddy and we ended the hunt for the day with a good story... a few days later I ran into the guy and found out he was trapping muskrat and raccoons... I didn't mention what I had seen...
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:32 pm

That funny.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:40 am

1bhtr wrote:Hey guys first post but been reading for a while... my buddy and I hunt public and use a boat for access as much as possible, a few years ago it was mid november and we were planning to stay on stand till 1:00... as morning turned into early afternoon the wind started to pick up, I had seen a small buck chasing some does earlier in the day and I caught movement at about 80 yds out... then I recognized that it was a person and closing fast almost jogging... at the time I couldn't tell what he had on his back, his closed looked really ragged and thought maybe he was homeless. a few seconds after I see him he leans up against a tree and takes a crap, fortunately he was partially blocked by some honeysuckle. When he was done just stood up and took off as fast as he came in, I was laughing so hard I didn't know what to do, I called my buddy and we ended the hunt for the day with a good story... a few days later I ran into the guy and found out he was trapping muskrat and raccoons... I didn't mention what I had seen...

:lol: I think we've all been party to a woods emergency or two! Good way to get out of a traffic ticket too (I hear), jump out of your truck and head for the nearest tree... don't get shot first.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”