Shoulda been a Sniper!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Shoulda been a Sniper!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:59 am

I'm aware that we have top level public land hunters as members here on the Beast... but what kind of a shot are you? Just average but able to maintain steadiness when the big fella walks out? A crack shot that goes to heck when a Beast buck or bear appears on the scene?

I'll shoot an apple off your head at thirty yards with my bow... and disintegrate a dime at a hundred yards on your head with my rifle.

I'll yawn if a rhino charges me while I drop him in his tracks too! (private joke). :lol:

So how about it?? What kind of a shot are my fellow public land Beasts?

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Shoulda been a Sniper!

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 am

I consider myself a great shot with bow even when the pressure is on. Hardly ever shoot guns so cant give a review on how I shoot them.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:I consider myself a great shot with bow even when the pressure is on. Hardly ever shoot guns so cant give a review on how I shoot them.

Being a great bow shot, especially when the pressure is on, is NOT an easy thing to do! 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:49 am

Well I am no sniper but I can close under pressure and seem to be accurate enough to make a quick kill when the moment of truth arrives. I have little doubt I will mess up at some point but I have been able to close the deal on every mature buck that gave me a reasonable shot opportunity. So far I can say the ones that got away I had no chance on. I know that won't last forever but it does give me a little extra confidence that I am making the right decisions when big guys are in range.

On the opposite end of that I hunt with a couple of guys rifle season that miss the big one every other year. They hunt maybe an 1/10th as hard as I do but alwasy seem to run into a nice buck. Hundreds of shots fired over the years and very very little to show for it.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 am

Well I'm the archery 2000 champ in the game room! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:13 am

headgear wrote:Well I am no sniper but I can close under pressure and seem to be accurate enough to make a quick kill when the moment of truth arrives.

That's the bottom line, headgear- really all that matters. 8-)
headgear wrote:Hundreds of shots fired over the years and very very little to show for it.

It always amazes me when this happens, and I hope its buck fever- all too often its a lack of proficiency with the weapon.
magicman54494 wrote:Well I'm the archery 2000 champ in the game room!

Go get 'em, Magic! :lol:
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:06 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Being a great bow shot, especially when the pressure is on, is NOT an easy thing to do! 8-)

The only time I'm a great shot with my bow is when the pressure is on.

I've killed approximately 50 deer with my bow, had two clean misses (shot over ones back and hit a limb on the other) and lost two that I found a few day later. Yet, I struggle to shoot 3-4 inch groups in the back yard at 20 yds., lol.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:33 am

headgear wrote:Hundreds of shots fired over the years and very very little to show for it.

Singing Bridge wrote:It always amazes me when this happens, and I hope its buck fever- all too often its a lack of proficiency with the weapon.

The common theme I hear is they quickly pull up the gun and shoot. So I don't think there is much aiming going on, just the shooting. You can probably associate most of it with buck fever, however I have had to educate a few guys on ballistics. Not sure if they ever learned about gravity in grade school.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 am

Singing Bridge wrote:...A crack shot that goes to heck when a Beast buck or bear appears on the scene?...

This used to be me. I could shoot the nocks off my arrows at will at 20 yards, but then I could miss a deer (any deer) by 5-10 feet! :oops:

Singing Bridge wrote:...Just average but able to maintain steadiness when the big fella walks out?...

For the most part this is me now. Although I did mess up during this past season when things went down really fast on the buck I posted in the contest section. I hit in the gut and it angled in between the fourth and fifth rib on the far side. Definitely not where I intended to hit.

I eventually changed my shooting style so I was less accurate, BUT was able to maintain an adequate level of accuracy with far less concentration. Before I changed my shooting style I missed 28 big bucks with my bow and since I have changed I have had good success connecting with my targets. Unfortunately I don't see anywhere near as many good bucks as I used to. (This comes from being in poor shape and dramatic drop in scouting.)

As far as gun hunting goes I think I'm probably about average, but I plan on changing that. Currently if I take a shot within 100 yards that deer is dead. Beyond that I'm not sure about my shooting ability, but I think with a good solid rest I could shoot out to about 200.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:55 am

I am pretty profcient with the bow, the last 2 deer I shot ran a combine 100 yards. Both double lunged. I have a self imposed range of 30 yards or less. I hope to increase that this summer with alot of practice. With the rifle, I have been pretty good as well. I have had to track a buck I shot with the rifle yet. Knock on wood. Again, though all my shots were pretty close with none being over a hundred yards. So if I had to rate my shooting ability, I would say slightly above average, partly because I haven't taken any difficult shots.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:The only time I'm a great shot with my bow is when the pressure is on.

I know a number of guys like this, good hunters all.

Kind of a casual focus until THE MOMENT arrives, followed by the predator's eye and ultra-focus taking over...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:The only time I'm a great shot with my bow is when the pressure is on.

I know a number of guys like this, good hunters all.

Kind of a casual focus until THE MOMENT arrives, followed by the predator's eye and ultra-focus taking over...

I too shoot better under pressure... Go figure?
I suck with a gun. Flincher.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm

dan wrote:I suck with a gun. Flincher.

What a cool forum handle that would be... "Flincher"

My man Flinch...

A flincher in the Rye...

Give 'em a Flinch and they take a mile...

:mrgreen:
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm

When i was younger I wounded two nice bucks in a row. I beat myself up over it and made myself practice every morning before school and got pretty good. I have placed first in almost every 3d tournament I shot in when I was in the youth bracket :lol: Then In the past few years I have placed 2nd twice in the hunter class which is my best so far. Then last year i shot a winter league and took Fourth place but this year i stepped it up a notch since I got a job at a local pro shop and got some pointers and so far my scores have been rocking. My goal is to take second at least and if not first 8-)

One thing I belive is that I can alwyas be better and i can be a very good 3d shooter buck when the big boy steps out, there is no saying where I will hit, although i have been doing better since i was young.

As for with the shotgun, i used to be able to hit anything weather it was running walking or standing still. I bought a different gun this year and could not hit a barn if I was in the damn thing :?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Wish I could say I was a better shot :oops: I spent more time in the off season for 2010 practicing than any year before and still managed to wound 2 deer. It still bothers me all the time to think about it though I know the deer both lived. I get deer fever in general and actually shake more when shooting at does than bucks :shock: I honestly have I know idea but they make me more nervous!

As SB said a big part of this can be due to poor equipment. I've spent a lot of money looking for that "pixie dust" and buying gimics and things that were pointless when I should have bought a bow sufficient for hunting. The bow I shot was LOUD and SLOW. If the deer wasn't within 10 or so yards they got a good head start on the arrow because when I released the bow SLAPPED loud like a door slamming shut. Having learned yet another lesson the hardway I've picked up a new bow and have already "robin hooded" once....now I am for different targets because arrows are too damn expensive.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”