public land with walking trails

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spanky

public land with walking trails

Unread postby spanky » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 am

hi everyone say i hunt public with walking trails, I feel I found some good areas need to scout but don't want to blow it out by walking in it. should I sit in observation stands?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: public land with walking trails

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 am

spanky wrote:hi everyone say i hunt public with walking trails, I feel I found some good areas need to scout but don't want to blow it out by walking in it. should I sit in observation stands?

Use those walking trails to your advantage. Bucks are used to scent in those areas. So you them to get as close as you can to the spot you want to scout. That will help you minimize scent in non-normal areas. You could also observation sit, from right off the walking trails to not give them an idea you're after them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 am

We have mountain bike , hiking and horse trails all in area I am hunting. Use them to your advantage. The deer are use to the activity but I have found they like to bed 60 to 100 yds away and watch the trails. But they will cross them or use them when they are traveling. They are easy access.
MarshRunner17
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby MarshRunner17 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:17 pm

The deer are most likely used to people there. Observation stand wouldn't be a bad idea, trail camera too.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 am

Same setup w/ my best public right now. But, a differing viewpoint. I walk the outside property line so the deer AND hunters dont know I'm there. Remember, most hunters take the easy way in and dont get far from the parking lot or trail. Observation sits only if I have to.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”