How Much Time?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCR1985

How Much Time?

Unread postby BCR1985 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 am

You might have read my previous post about the 9 I killed in a hill country bedding area. Shot him on 10/27/17. Based on how far in I was, I had to clean and quarter him about 70 yards from where my set up is. I'm dying to get back on that spot and go for number 2 this year, but don't know how much time I should give the spot, if any. How long should I wait to hunt it again? Plenty of bears and coyotes in the area so I'm sure the gut pile is long gone. I did try to pick up what was left on the ground and carry it down below the military crest. I figured if predators came thru, a buck would still be comfortable bedding there as long as he could see and smell them from his bedding point. It rained hard for the last 2 days as well. Advice on this? In the future should I not dress and quarter in the area I'm hunting? Thanks!!!

Jonny
500 Club

Re: How Much Time?

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:37 am

I have had deer walk up on me while gutting deer, seen deer the same day after gutting one, and have seen deer the day after gutting one.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SEMObowhunter

Re: How Much Time?

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

I used to hunt an area, which was public, but had to access across a small strip of private to get there. We killed three deer during gun season in that spot. You could stand at one gut pile and see the other. This was over the course of a week. It’s like anything else, I’m sure the refuse and predators in the area won’t bother them any more than your scent that was left from hunting there. Past that I have no other experience with it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”