Trail Cameras on public land and spring scouting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Trail Cameras on public land and spring scouting

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Wondering how many guys on here use trail cams for spring scouting on public land? I'd like to think that traffic on public land is a lot less than in fall and there's less of a chance they'd get stolen. However, there isn't much to see in late winter/early spring on public land except does, and bucks that look like does. I personally like seeing camera pictures whether they are does or bucks. I was wondering if anyone else uses them or has had good or bad experiences?

What is everyone's experiences with cameras on public land? I've never left a camera, treestand, or any other piece of equipment on public land. I am too paranoid of them being stolen? I am heading out to scout either tomorrow or tuesday hopefully avoiding the big snow. If I find good sign I would like to leave a camera out but am afraid footprints in the snow would make it easy for a criminal to follow me in and find the camera. MY plan would be to walk in and set up the camera this week. And either this weekend or next monday return to the same piece of land. And scout it again maybe getting a new view at parts of it then pulling the camera.

What are your experiences with trail cams on public land and their use in spring scouting?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Trail Cameras on public land and spring scouting

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:45 pm

I have only done it once, but plan on starting to do it a lot more. They haven't been doing me any good sitting on the shelf.

The one time I did it on public land I put it out before a big snow so my tracks would get filled in. Unfortunately it was a BIG snow and when I checked my cam a few months later my pics revealed that the cam got covered with snow. I only got one picture of a doe and it was just the top of her because 3/4 of the lens had snow covering it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm

We have BIG snow forecasted this week. I'd like to put my cam out tomorrow and scout a bit. Then return in a weeks time to pull it and give the land one more run through to see what I can see. Just lack much trust in others to leave it out there though.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

I have left them out on public for a while. I always Use python cable locks on them.I ran across one the other day while scouting.I came up from behind it put on my face mask and posed for the camera.I always Gps mark mine so I can find them there nothing worst than hunting for a trailcam forgetting where you put it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:37 pm

I had one stolen this past fall on public land. :evil: Pretty sure I know who did it but can't prove it. A guy set up very close to where the camera was stolen a few days later. Pretty sure he saw a few good bucks on my memory card and thought he should hunt there. :roll:
Find out later that it is illegal to use them on most public land and is considered no different than leaving your treestand out in a tree overnight and must be removed daily. Depending on the laws some county land is different but I would check with the DNR to be sure.
I always used cheaper Stealth Cams I bought on Ebay and used a cable lock. Nothing I hate more than thieves! :evil: :evil:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I put mine out in a very heavily hunted area, but it was about a mile back. If it's not easily accessible you might be OK. Especially since it will be out for such a short time.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:44 am

Used to run a ton of them on spring/summer mineral licks. Would try and pull them right before before bear season (dog running). Lost (2) that way.

Lost another right before gun season in a spot I figured it would be stolen. Just couldn't get back there in time and yup, she was gone.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:02 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Used to run a ton of them on spring/summer mineral licks. Would try and pull them right before before bear season (dog running). Lost (2) that way.

Lost another right before gun season in a spot I figured it would be stolen. Just couldn't get back there in time and yup, she was gone.
Did you have them locked up?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 am

wappkid wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Used to run a ton of them on spring/summer mineral licks. Would try and pull them right before before bear season (dog running). Lost (2) that way.

Did you have them locked up?

Python cable locks tight to the tree. Looks they were cut/chopped with an axe or hatchet.

Like I said one was an easy find and expected it gone. The other two were close to each other about a mile in off a black top road. Stil can't believe those are gone.....never seen another hunter out there except when someone followed my tracks in the previous winter(december) during second bow season. Cams were pulled in Jan. and placed back out in April and stolen in August.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 am

I have been running cams on public for about 8 years now, I am partially amazed that I have never had one stolen but most of my locations are very remote.

I am going to try a few this summer on some public that will see more human pressure. I am going to try and put them up in areas that are hard to access to limit the chances of them being stolen.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 am

Didn't know mineral licks were legal on Public land??? :?
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

Public Land Beast wrote:

Didn't know mineral licks were legal on Public land??? :?

They used to be......maybe 3 years ago? Hence my first sentence, used to.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 am

I used one on my last trip to iowa this year. We put it on some good trails coming from bedding areas. Let us know what was coming out those days.they were only out less than 24 hrs each though,set before dark and checked next morn.We hiked way to the back of one public chunk and actually found fresh footprints coming off the private. That guy had a good 2 mile walk to come off of private. someone is dedicated. two miles through some pretty good bluffs i should add.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:15 am

I put a couple out this weekend and am a little worried someone might follow my tracks and find em. I'm surprised with the number and ethics of hunters here I haven't had any cameras or treestands stolen yet. Maybe I don't give enough credit to the ethics. I usually try to put them in hard to get to places but thats not always the case where you need to put them to get pictures without being intrusive. I used to put a chain on mine but figured if someones gonna take it they'll just bust the chain off the plastic housing anyway, had a bear do it once already.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:55 pm

I won't hang one until bucks start developing antlers...maybe around the 4th of July when I can start to see a frame develop. I hate to even have them out then, due to thieves. At $200 apiece....it can get expensive replacing them.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”