Smart Public Land 10 Point

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowslinger

Smart Public Land 10 Point

Unread postby Arrowslinger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Out on the public land by my house I found a overlooked spot. Sets up with a shallow waterway to the east with cattails, about 40 yards of woods in the middle and then to the west there's the trail the DNR uses to drive on.
Seen this nice 10 point get up out of his bed to the east in the cattails (mind you it sounded like WW3 out there with the duck hubters) and bed down in the woods. He was probably only 50 yards from me at the point. Once the duck hunters we're done this smart buck ran right to the trail the DNR uses to drive on and walked it right past my stand and into the corn. Was the hardest thing to hold off from putting an arrow in this guy who walked by at 30 yards but we can't shoot on the road. I'll know for next time where to set up

Atrez76

Re: Smart Public Land 10 Point

Unread postby Atrez76 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:28 am

? You sure you cant shoot the road? I know if its public on both sides of the road in michigan you can shoot from the center of the road. If its public on one side you have to favor that side.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Back in 2014 I hunted a old public land 10 pointer. I had him on camera, and saw him 5 times throughout the year.

He was old and smart, always bedded where he could see the access trail. 4 out of 5 times I saw him, he ran right down the access trail and off the property.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 am

Are we talking a road or access trail/logging type trail? If it was the later you should have been able to shoot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”