Hill Country Bucks , the approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NWIATradBow

Hill Country Bucks , the approach

Unread postby NWIATradBow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:27 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum so if this post has already been covered or belongs in another place please let me know!

I'm not "new" to bow hunting deer but am new in the sense that I've never really put too much planning into my setups. In years past it was always drag a ladder stand or two into the public land before the season,pick a spot that "looked good" and hunt that stand repeatedly.

I am now doing a bow and go method with hang on stand and sticks. I have been able to identify a few buck beds ( not as many as I'd like) however, the access to these spots is not ideal.

So, here's my question/questions..
how long should I be taking to approach these areas or rather how slow should I be moving?

Is it a no no to take game trails in? Many of the areas are 3/4 to a mile in, taking a heavily used trail obviously speeds things up, but how much damage am I doing?! Plus it's hard to be quite in the super thick stuff!

Also, I would like to be able to upload photos on here from IPhone, if anyone could explain that also ide greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!

PK_
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bucks , the approach

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 am

Welcome. Yes this stuff has been covered but it can be difficult to find specific answers among all the info available on this board.

Access is almost always difficult, that is the very reason most beds are where they are. Just take as long as you need to in order to get as close as you can. Hill country tends be to very diffult to push the envelope on getting very close to a bedded buck. Winds are shifty, crunchy leaves and the great sight advantage a buck usually has in the hills are all working against you. Use this time of year where they roam a bit further from the bedroom to your advantage.

You can take game trails in for the afternoon hunts, just don't walk closer the the bed than where you are setup or can shoot to. In the morning you don't know which direction the buck will come from so walking on game trails is much riskier.

You just need to get out and blow a few bed hunts and learn from your mistakes. It all seems daunting and complex but you just develop a feel for it after a few years. But failures are always there season after season.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 am

Great post PK! and Welcome NWIATradBow!

To add a few tips...

A general rule (when possible) is access from the tops for evening sit, bottoms for morning. That doesnt always line up but its a good rule. I like to use creeks, cuts, ditches & draws every chance possible. A good way to practice is take a screen shot of the area and draw access routes over and over until it looks good. Its easy to cyber scout a access route, knowing what it looks like w boots on the ground is important - especially for mornings. As far as speed goes, only matters when youre on the final approach to the tree. Imagine a 200lb squirrel laying there, waiting for you... with that said youd be surprised what you can get away with! One key to that though is add plenty of time for access to your game plans. That is one thing we all learn real quick! :lol:

How to post pics - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

Sometimes you have to take game trails to get to the spot you should be hunting, especially in swamps and marshes where it is downright impossible to do anything else. Just have to know that you need to shoot your deer before it hits where you walked, so always keep that in consideration.

As to how long? Totally a guess, and changes quite a bit for where you are. Some guys take two hours to get to a stand, an hour for the first mile and a half, and an hour for the last 50-100 yards just to get in quiet. You can get away with quite a bit, but once you get into sight and hearing range, you need to slow down slower than you think. For hills, think accessing where deer don't walk. Draws, creeks, ravines, staying out of vision, smell and hopefully noise. Take up from the bottom or down for the top, but you need to know where those deer will be bedding otherwise you might blow your hunt before you start.

Hills are tough, but there is also a reason why right now lots of guys are heading to the hills for the rut

Oh and welcome to the beast :text-welcomewave:

Like PK said, you will learn quite a bit from screwing up a lot. Nobody gets this stuff right all the time. Just have to have everything go right once.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:12 pm

I will use deer trails through the real thick stuff. They seem to pack it down nicely and other critters use them too. I won't walk the entire length of a trail to my set up though. Me personally, I don't like to sweat climbing hills. I climb 1100 foot hills almost every hunt so I enjoy taking my sweet time getting to where I need to be.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I know a lot of guys say access from the top in the evening, but i've had all my bed hunting success entering from the bottom and coming in from the side. Most places I hunt I can't access from the top so I just make it work. You have to use terrain/cover features to your advantage so you can get close enough. There's no clear cut right/wrong way to do it. You have to take every situation and figure out what is going to work the best and give it a try.
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm

So, here's my question/questions..
how long should I be taking to approach these areas or rather how slow should I be moving?

For me, i move quick until i am within 1/2 to 1/4 miles from where i intend to hunt. i always stop and change into my hunting clothes before i get close to my stands. My hunts usually consist of a 1+ mile hike through mountainous terrain in which i can't help but get sweaty. once i'm close to my stand area I try to slip into my final stand location as gentle as possible.

Is it a no no to take game trails in? Many of the areas are 3/4 to a mile in, taking a heavily used trail obviously speeds things up, but how much damage am I doing?! Plus it's hard to be quite in the super thick stuff!

I take the quickest route i can to the area i plan to hunt. This is also the only feasible entry way into that area. Like you, I also have very long hikes and walking in or across game trails is often unavoidale. To me thats just chance you have to take.

Once i'm in close, i try my best to avoid crossing or walking directly in a game trail until the very last moment. That way if you have to cross a trail, you did it as close to your stand as possible.
Then, if a buck/doe busts your back trail, Its potentially too late for them anyways

But in reality thats hunting and those are the risks we take to try to be successful, especially if your close to his bedroom.

Like you i am also new to the forum!
Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”