New Hunting Ground - strategy evaluation

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntzilla

New Hunting Ground - strategy evaluation

Unread postby Huntzilla » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Hey Guys, so I'm hunting a large piece of public. Tons of timber and ridges all over. I know the science behind the buck bedding. Even did an interview with Dan. I focused on a part of the woods that was landlocked by water and private land. Only problem is someone stole my serial number on my boat and the process is taking over a month at this point to get it squared away! So I switched to some other spots that I scouted back in February. Only problem is I have no trail cam photos and am going purely off old sign. I'll go in all stealthy and and then try to get somewhat downwind of a primary Scrape area keeping in mind where a buck might be bedding. I haven't seen a single deer yet but have only hunted twice. The guys that have been hunting there are seeing tons of deer on the food plots. No big bucks or anything but the guys who've killed some good ones are telling me that's what they do. I really don't have a lot of faith in hunting these food plots for a big buck. However the woods are thick I can only see 50yds max. There's no way I could do an observation sit in the woods. However I've noticed that there are old food plots that have grown up (they haven't been taken care of). People really shy away from them. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do an observation sit on these neglected openings and try to see something before rummaging in there putting trail cams and what not up. All of this is of course until I can get my boat back in the water. Just wanted your thoughts.

Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram
Huntzilla

Re: New Hunting Ground - strategy evaluation

Unread postby Huntzilla » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Also wanted to mention that the goal for me would be to see where if there was a buck to come out where he would be bedding and go from there. Been using the terrain, old sign and wind to determine my set ups this far. I've been setting up ab 1/3 the way up the ridge just enough to play the wind right. Haven't seen anything in the valleys. Wondering if these deer don't get in the bottoms until night or something.
Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”