Going in blind and Getting out Easily

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Re: Going in blind and Getting out Easily

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:06 pm

I agree, run with what you like. I do have to add on a couple of items to make it work as well as a gps, but for me that is still less expensive than buying another unit. I have other gear I need the $$$ for more.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:08 pm

One thing you will find is a lot of guys can't find their rearend with both hands when it gets dark out. :lol: Seen that in my many years of coonhunting. Not to say that I never got turned around, but I never had much trouble with it and back then there was no GPS units and we didn't use compasses. Back then we ran dogs probably 300 days or more a year. A few times I ended up coming out a long ways from the truck, but that builds character. :lol: Also it wasn't bad since I was 18 years old and was in the best shape of my life. I have ONX on my phone for marking spots, but I don't really use it much for getting out of the woods.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:16 am

I am a lot like cspot, been hunting so long, I just go, never seem to worry about it....... I got a deal on a GPS at sportsman rummage sale, its a Garmin Etrex, came with everything and dvd, I should look at it,,,, only cost me 30.00 in the package. the guy said everyone has a smart phone, so he did not need it..... well he sold it to the one guy, who does not have a smart phone,,, ha ha

I have been lost plenty of times, that is how I have found some great spots..... since I am retired, does not matter if I get out right or so...... however I will figure out, how to get to the good spots,,,,,,

I have always had wooden clothes pins, with a night tac, on it,,,,,,, when I get in, for the last area, I clip them on branches as I go along. I do not worry about scent, since I always wear disposable gloves, doing this. It has saved me a lot of time, on a late night, taking a deer out, my path is lit up like a run way, and I just take them out, as I go out,,,,,,
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Closest and most direct often don't equate to easy.

When I go in blind (new property) in the daylight, I'm by nature choosing the path of least resistance even in thick cover.

When I come out in the dark, unless I follow the same path out, I'm likely to pick the shortest distance from my tree to my truck (baring any obvious obstacles).

However, there are normally 'not so obvious' obstacles which turns the closest route into the most difficult route ...crossing water, bleeding arms/face, etc are all pretty common for me.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”