Body warmth and traveling through swamp MUCK

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brohunt or Die

Body warmth and traveling through swamp MUCK

Unread postby Brohunt or Die » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 am

Hey Beast members,

It's been a tough season so far. Won't get into the details too much.

What do you all do for feet warmth, particularly toes. With stand on back, walking slowly early morning trying to find a tree, my feet are in knee high rubber boots with some insulation, in warm socks, and they sweat. My whole body sweating from stand on back, satchel on waist, jacket off, lower body sweating, upper body sweating, get in stand which is a cluster-foxtrot, finally get settled after spooking the deer out of there anyways, and feet start to get cold. Once that happens, it's all over for comfort, til I leave the stand too early, pack up and start walking back slowly, finally warming up again. hunt was over hours ago... it's been tough so far.

dont wear socks on hike? bring change of socks? I have heavier insulated waterproof boots for later season when it's colder, but same problem in past during colder months. Also lower body sweating. I wear base layers under pants, base layer on top wiith a vest on, carry jacket on stand as I go out. I got the gear for multi step system, not buying more clothes. Thinking of leaving truck in nothing but boxers, base layers and boots. Get out to stand, and slowly dress up as I cool off. Either bring extra socks to switch out in, or bring a leg sock, half sleeping bag type thing with no boots to keep feet warm together, like a hand muff. this cold weather thing is coming quick. I know they make a body bag type thing, and retention of body heat is probably the key to staying warm in inclimate weather... gonna look like a big blob of camo up there..

so, how does one get through the muck? there's an island, acre in size or so, one of 2 islands, but this one is closer to solid land on public. 80 yds away, settled west in marshy terrain. not sure if deer are there or not, and i'm assuming it's bedding, if any, so it would have to be super stealthy hang and hunt for evening or get there in early morning when/if any deer are not there, set up downwind from incoming trails and wait for them to come back. anyways I tried to get going through it with knee high boots on a few weeks ago... gets too deep and worst part is feet sinking 1-2' down. I have chest waders... with booties and have used them wading out duck hunting, but I think i'm going to sink further, and I haven't even reached the deepest part of the gap between island and land....
maybe standing water on top, say 6" but your feet sink, and it stinks.. how the heck does a guy get over there to at least take a look? I doubt it'll freeze over in time and the other island is a couple hundred yards further SW of there....

area is tough, plenty of pressure around with pheasant opener and late waterfowl hunting... haven't seen a lot of good buck sign. but probably haven't scouted enough either. dont have time to sit day after day observation stands. location 1 hr away door to door. found 1 good rub close to parking lot. night time photo of a good public land buck. plenty of private across road to east for daytime sanctuary...so...

*side note* speaking of finding a tree.... i now vow not to go into an area blind without knowing what tree/trees are there to set up in for morning hunts. i end up looking around and wasting time trying to set up blindly with headlamp on that is super bright which is great, but second-guess constantly and end up in a tree wrapped in vines which makes the stand squeak, and only getting up 11', but OK cover... ok done ranting on that.

going off on tangents here but... spent plenty of time in this area learning it a bit in summer and recently and seems like it was all for nothing now that seasons opened up. thoughts?

hunter_mike

Re: Body warmth and traveling through swamp MUCK

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:55 am

For me i wear hip boots and I have been amazed how nasty of stuff I have gotten through with just those. Anything deeper and it is time to pack in my chest waders or inflatable kayak.

I have found with hip boots, when you get thigh deep in water you don't really sink into muck the way you do when you are in ankle deep water because you are bouyant. Its even more true with chest waders. If you are truly chest deep, even carrying a stand above your head, the amount of force your foot actually puts on the ground is very little, so I don't see it likely that you would sink in very far if the water is truly that deep.

If its deeper than that you ought to be able to float a canoe or something.

For warmth you may want to look at a heater body suit or IWOM thing. Otherwise wearing wool base layers and socks, wringing that stuff out if it gets dunked and some good efficient layers plus a good rain jacket.

If finding a tree and packing a stand is taking the fun out of your hunt maybe just carry a little stool and hunt on the ground. I would still try to hunt it if you are sure thats where you need to be hunting!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:04 am

For me there is just no way to get places, even going slow without a little sweat. A good base layer and wool socks will go a long way to help to wick the sweat away and keep you warm. Also better to over dress for the conditions than under dress. I also take time on stand into considerations, evening I'm not sitting as long as morning and midday hunts. Sometimes a little strip down before the final climb into the stand is done, let some of that moisture evaporate and cool the body down but just a little.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:54 am

Simple answer, wear wool walking in, bring a pair of extra socks in case it's necessary and get a heater body suit and carry that instead of a jacket. I also put my thermacell pro foot warmers inside the HBS and carry extra batteries if I plan to sit all day. With this system I have been able to sit in minus zero weather all day and I have very poor circulation and am 5'7" and only weight 125#'s. In other words, I have no insulation.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:39 am

Wear hip boots, dress lightly, go slow to avoid working up a sweat and once set up get in your warmer clothes and then when on stand throw on a pair of boot warmers to keep your feet warm. I have worn them even over my hip boots and they work great. Always have them with me when the temps get below 40 degrees.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm

I typically do some pretty long walks in, and for keeping feet warm on stand you have to have dry socks and boots. Depending on how cold it is, I will either simply change into new socks at the tree, or "bag" my feet to keep my socks dry on the walk in.

By that I mean I will put plastic bags on my feet as a vapor barrier, then put socks on over them for the walk in.....the moisture cannot get through to the socks. Before you climb up, remove the bags, put them in your pack, and bingo.....you have dry boots and socks. A little unconventional, but it works and keeps your feet warmer.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:42 am

for logner sits, I've been using toe warmers and boot covers of some sort.. they don't last long though as they'll eat through the oxygen in your boots in about 2 hours. Then go cold, but.. that little bit of heat helps cut that biting cold.

I put them on top of my toes over liner socks, then put thick socks over them. I try to put them in my boots 15 minutes before making my climb. I only use them on te coldest days. Otherwise boots and dry socks. Also make sure your socks arnt cutting off circulation. Over calf socks that are too tight or too many sock layers will constrict blood flow and feel colder.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

I'm a sweater and a freezer all in the same. I die going in and am cold in no time without proper preperation... I always bring extra socks to change into once I sit... I always carry as many clothes as I can and change once in. Sometimes just sitting at the base of my tree with my shirt off in the dark to cool down. I like battery operated socks or the thermacil remotell ones they make. Hot hand boot warmers are done in a hour thats a short term fix. Go slow get in early and let things cool and calm down. As for the muck if there is a will there is a way. Not many guys want to go through it I would get the chest waders first time and decide if you could get away with hip boots next hunt. I wish I could go Dan ifalt style and just strip down and go but I'm not there yet
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 am

sir_tob wrote:I put them on top of my toes over liner socks, then put thick socks over them. I try to put them in my boots 15 minutes before making my climb. I only use them on te coldest days. Otherwise boots and dry socks. Also make sure your socks arnt cutting off circulation. Over calf socks that are too tight or too many sock layers will constrict blood flow and feel colder.

I do the same and it works well for me. Polypropylene liner socks go a long way towards keeping your feet dry.

When it gets really cold I switch out the Merino wool socks for Alpaca socks and I add a thermacare back heating pad as well. It goes right over the kidneys and helps to warm your entire body by heating the blood being filtered by the kidneys.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am

Going in blind for a morning hunt is above my pay grade . :lol:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

O switched to muck boots a few years back. The ones I use have an air mesh lining that lets air circulate around your foot to help keep it dry and warm. Also, GOOD wool socks are a must. They insulate when wet.
Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Unread postby Challenger » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:07 pm

northeast beast wrote:I'm a sweater and a freezer all in the same. I die going in and am cold in no time without proper preperation... I always bring extra socks to change into once I sit... I always carry as many clothes as I can and change once in. Sometimes just sitting at the base of my tree with my shirt off in the dark to cool down. I like battery operated socks or the thermacil remotell ones they make. Hot hand boot warmers are done in a hour thats a short term fix. Go slow get in early and let things cool and calm down. As for the muck if there is a will there is a way. Not many guys want to go through it I would get the chest waders first time and decide if you could get away with hip boots next hunt. I wish I could go Dan ifalt style and just strip down and go but I'm not there yet

What do you mean by this?
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:48 pm

In one of his dvds he strips down to underwear and wades across a creek in. November I believe lol
Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Unread postby Challenger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:39 pm

I didn't wade across a creek but I have stood on top of a bluff, with 6" of snow on the ground in 20° weather, naked to cool off after hiking 1 1/2 miles :o
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Challenger wrote:I didn't wade across a creek but I have stood on top of a bluff, with 6" of snow on the ground in 20° weather, naked to cool off after hiking 1 1/2 miles :o

:lol: :clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”