Treestand optional

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bass28

Treestand optional

Unread postby bass28 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 am

First, thanks to everyone for putting up with my questions. I have hunted for ages but am new to Dan's methods.

I used to hunt from a climber tree stand. My success rate was about 50/50 for killing from a tree versus killing from the ground. As I got older, I abandoned the tree hunting and have been exclusively hunting the ground. The reasons I did this were the ability to move (esp. if a hunter moves in on my area), safety and of course much less to carry into the woods. The past 5 years my deer sighting have been way down and my success rate dismal, which is what led me to this site...giving me a fresh start and new perspective.

My question is should I invest in a new tree stand and sticks? In your experience, am I missing opportunities by only hunting the ground even though I have gotten pretty good at finding natural ground blinds?

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Treestand optional

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 am

Hunting from the ground in a natural ground blind is definitely effective but not in every situation. I try to let the spot I'm hunting dictate whether I'm in a tree or on the ground. Some places you're just too limited on the ground. Other places you may be better off on the ground. To answer your question, it would be nice to have a hang on stand as an option.
You don't have to spend a ton of money. There are good used stands being sold all the time and used climbing sticks aren't that hard to come by either. Ground hunting can be great but some situations demand a tree stand to hunt effectively.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 am

I dont think anyone here will tell you not to pick one up...sometimes there are no trees in "the" spot so you have to ground hunt...but I couldn't imagine ground hunting only. If you choose to get back into trees, try not to hurry and get something you really wont like (hard to do because its hunting season NOW) :lol: ...so many options and opinions out there. I currently have steel stand and sticks and will upgrade, but I refuse to be in a hurry. Good deals (maybe used) off-season to be had...dont hate moving your setup because being mobile is key.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 am

I think a stand like a Lone Wolf Alpha and a set of dual steps sticks, like Muddy Pros are very user friendly. Using only 2-3 sticks to start with is actually quite useful, fast, and reasonably safe. 3 of those can get you 10-12 feet up easy, and in the right tree still very effective.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 am

I would recommend picking up a stand and sticks. If the optional is avaible I want to be up in a tree and only like to hunt from the ground as a last resort.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am

I’d start with a stand that you are comfortable using. I’m afraid of heights, but I’ve found that I can use a sit and climb (Summit Viper) comfortably. It’s big and loud, but I feel 100% safe in it. I wish I could be one of these guys using hang ons and sticks, but I’m just not comfortable doing it. If you get a stand, I’d practice using it several times before using it on a hunt. Take your time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:59 am

Sounds like a tree saddle would be a good fit for you for the times you might want to hunt in a tree. Check out the New Tribe Kestrel.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 am

Dewey wrote:Sounds like a tree saddle would be a good fit for you for the times you might want to hunt in a tree. Check out the New Tribe Kestrel.

When I hunted from a saddle a lot I would even use it hunting from the ground sometimes. I would just hang it at a normal seat height with my feet on the ground. Works out nice when you have sense overhead foliage, where climbing a tree would limit shooting too much. Nice thing was I could hide behind a tree and swing around to shoot when ready. I just now thought about this and forgot how convenient that was :think: .
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”