Public Protocol

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

docwaters

Public Protocol

Unread postby docwaters » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 am

I am hunting public land at Fort Knox tomorrow. The process entails checking into areas, etc. I noticed there were seven slots left when I made my reservation. Most areas had more slots available, which leads me to believe other hunters will be in the area.

What is considered good or bad form when encountering others on public land? This area has a river to the north a 100-400 yard wide bottom and hillside to the south. We will have a southerly wind and my entrance will be from the East. I am assuming there will be hunters that I will pass making my way back to the West end of the area.

Is it bad form to pass in front of these folks, how should I proceed?

Ridgestalker10pt
Facebook: 74saunders street

Re: Public Protocol

Unread postby Ridgestalker10pt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:19 am

The main thing I do as a hunter is pattern other hunters. All I have is stateland and it's in the adirondacks. Once you find where they like to go in and hunt use them to bump deer to you. Might take a couple try but eventually you'll figure out where they go in at.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 am

At Fort Riley I always had back-up spots picked out in case the place I was going someone beat me to. There were stands everywhere, but I only encountered people in the woods a few times while hunting there. Not sure how it works at Knox. Is it possible to see if anyone else is signed-in to hunt the area before you get there? I'd say a couple hundred yards away is probably ideal for walking by other hunters. I generally don't want them to know that I'm around so I slink by them. It might not be possible to slip by out of sight though, so just do the best you can.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 am

Abishai wrote:At Fort Riley I always had back-up spots picked out in case the place I was going someone beat me to. There were stands everywhere, but I only encountered people in the woods a few times while hunting there. Not sure how it works at Knox. Is it possible to see if anyone else is signed-in to hunt the area before you get there? I'd say a couple hundred yards away is probably ideal for walking by other hunters. I generally don't want them to know that I'm around so I slink by them. It might not be possible to slip by out of sight though, so just do the best you can.

It is an online system at Knox now, but there are definitely others signed up for tomorrow. Just not sure how many. Good advice on the 100 yard rule. I know I will have to pass some to get back away from most of them. I'm thinking of hugging the river side on my way in, not only to avoid hunters but I'll be downwind from any deer too.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 am

docwaters wrote:I am hunting public land at Fort Knox tomorrow. The process entails checking into areas, etc. I noticed there were seven slots left when I made my reservation. Most areas had more slots available, which leads me to believe other hunters will be in the area.

What is considered good or bad form when encountering others on public land? This area has a river to the north a 100-400 yard wide bottom and hillside to the south. We will have a southerly wind and my entrance will be from the East. I am assuming there will be hunters that I will pass making my way back to the West end of the area.

Is it bad form to pass in front of these folks, how should I proceed?

Is fort knox bonus ? I have never looked at hunting there?
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 am

Yes, it's a bonus buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”