Duck hunters around spot

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowslinger

Duck hunters around spot

Unread postby Arrowslinger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 am

I found on the public land a small strip of thick woods that buts up into some thick cattails and a waterway that had no human activity in it, thought I hit the jackpot. Hunted it a few times and seen some deer (which is a success in itself on this state land) all does but there's buck sign around.
Well duck season opened back up last weekend and the fields to the east and South are where they are allowed to hunt and are corn fields that the dnr planted for duck hunting. I haven't seen anyone or seen any sign of anyone duck hunting in these woods but the fields they hunt are probably 3-4 hundred yards from where I'm hunting. Question is do you guys think it'll be worth going back in there or would that be enough pressure to push the deer out or make them more nocturnal? I'm sure it sounded like a war zone out there

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Duck hunters around spot

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 am

The only way to know for sure is to try.
Arrowslinger

Unread postby Arrowslinger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:43 am

Buckshot20 wrote:The only way to know for sure is to try.

I went out Monday night with the little cold front that came through but didn't see anything but squirrels having a turf war by my stand. I planned on giving it a couple more sits and scout it to see if they're still around. I just don't want to be sitting on a empty treeline and "waste" what few hunts I can get in
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 am

I have gotten showered with pellets while watching deer feed calmly in a river bottom. However once a certain guy I know very well starts hunting potholes in the river bottom, I stop seeing deer. If the duck hunters stay in the water, I never noticed anything different.

If all the hunters stay up in the fields, you should be fine.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pm

This is a very good question. I have a few nice spots but I am leary of hunting them since there are so many duck hunters in the area. I decided not to hunt there and went somewhere else for the first time this year on Monday. I saw a muskrat , 2 Wood ducks and a wood pecker pecking at a Pheasant back mushroom and no deer . I had to stop for one on the way back home though.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I would say the sudden influx of all the duck hunters and human activity would have some effect. Deer are slick critters. Stick to it and keep hunting. Maybe the duck hunters will stack them more in certain areas
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:51 pm

The duck hunters won’t bother the deer as long as they stay where the deer are use to them staying. I’ve hunted in plenty of duck territory and see deer hardly react when duck hunters are blasting away. Just like Jonny said....as long as they stay in the field, you’ll be okay
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm

I've had duck hunters blasting away on the other side of a flood a few times n still had bucks come out of the bedding. I've also been the duck hunter a few times n had deer come by. I'd stick to the plan. The only way I would change anything is if they were setting up right in the area I wanted to hunt.

Quick funny story. 3 or 4 yrs ago I was hunting a ridge top n could hear duck hunters blasting away a half mile or so down the road. I a few minutes later I am scanning the woods n hear crashing through the trees above me. I look up to see a mallard falling and crashing to the ground at the base of my tree. He must have took a pellet n made it a bit before dieing.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 pm

oldrank wrote:I've had duck hunters blasting away on the other side of a flood a few times n still had bucks come out of the bedding. I've also been the duck hunter a few times n had deer come by. I'd stick to the plan. The only way I would change anything is if they were setting up right in the area I wanted to hunt.

Quick funny story. 3 or 4 yrs ago I was hunting a ridge top n could hear duck hunters blasting away a half mile or so down the road. A few minutes later I am scanning the woods n hear crashing through the trees above me. I look up to see a mallard falling and crashing to the ground at the base of my tree. He must have took a pellet n made it a bit before dieing.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Arrowslinger wrote:I found on the public land a small strip of thick woods that buts up into some thick cattails and a waterway that had no human activity in it, thought I hit the jackpot. Hunted it a few times and seen some deer (which is a success in itself on this state land) all does but there's buck sign around.
Well duck season opened back up last weekend and the fields to the east and South are where they are allowed to hunt and are corn fields that the dnr planted for duck hunting. I haven't seen anyone or seen any sign of anyone duck hunting in these woods but the fields they hunt are probably 3-4 hundred yards from where I'm hunting. Question is do you guys think it'll be worth going back in there or would that be enough pressure to push the deer out or make them more nocturnal? I'm sure it sounded like a war zone out there

Sounds like we might hunt the same ground. I was out there Monday, hunting a buck bed I found last Dec, and had duck hunters about 200 yards from me. Ended up seeing a 2 year old 6pt come out of the main bed and a yearling 4pt came from a secondary bed. I hung my stand less than 100 yards from both beds and there was a ladder stand right next to the main bed! A patch of mud on the way in confirmed nobody had been around for several days, despite the well worn trail. Neither buck traveled more than 100 yards before dark and the older buck held tight to cover. They sparred for s min and beat up a few trees.

Long story short, the duck hunters stick to certain areas and the deer have no problem going around them.
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Same thing here. The past week has been nothing but a symphony of shotgun blasts all around me as soon as the sun comes up. Bucks are holding tight to bedding. This area gets duck hunted every year so they are used to it. If it's pressure they have experienced in the past it may not bother them as much as you would expect.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:18 am

I've shot deer off of dove fields less than a week after a couple hundred guys were out there. Just depends on how often the pressure is.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”