Mature bucks adopting existing beds?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CarolinaKid

Mature bucks adopting existing beds?

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:56 am

How often and how quickly do you see another mature buck adopt a dead mature bucks bedding area?

Ragingun

Re: Mature bucks adopting existing beds?

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 am

Sometimes quickly and sometimes never again. Speaking from experience it can be all over the place. A few years ago I found what I thought to be the best bed ever not only because a giant was using it but also because of the near impossible approach to the bed for predators. I found another bed that wasn't used near as much but it had your typical blow down on one side and good view on the other. The first bed after 3 seasons has yet to have a buck bed there again.....blows my mind but no other buck has adopted it yet. The second bed was finally used again after 2 seasons as I've seen it being used this year but like the first time I found it, it's not the primary bed.

Just depends on the deer, the food source that year, and I'm sure that specific deer's bedding preference based on individual character.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 am

If it’s a secure primary bedding area and no human scent was left it will be taken over fairly quickly. Fact is no bed is owned by one single buck. Many tend to rotate thru them on any given day.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 am

Dewey wrote:If it’s a secure primary bedding area and no human scent was left it will be taken over fairly quickly. Fact is no bed is owned by one single buck. Many tend to rotate thru them on any given day.

Yup... Mature bucks bed in specific spots based on certain factors... There are only so many spots. The best spots will have all the bucks in the area using it at some point during the season. I have watched a shooter come out from an observation, set up the next day for the kill and have a whole different buck get out of the same bed. I shot a 165 out of a public bad once, and a couple days later almost got a 140 out of the same bed after noticing the rubline was still being used.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am

Ragingun wrote:Sometimes quickly and sometimes never again. Speaking from experience it can be all over the place. A few years ago I found what I thought to be the best bed ever not only because a giant was using it but also because of the near impossible approach to the bed for predators. I found another bed that wasn't used near as much but it had your typical blow down on one side and good view on the other. The first bed after 3 seasons has yet to have a buck bed there again.....blows my mind but no other buck has adopted it yet. The second bed was finally used again after 2 seasons as I've seen it being used this year but like the first time I found it, it's not the primary bed.

Just depends on the deer, the food source that year, and I'm sure that specific deer's bedding preference based on individual character.

Those are most likely not primary beds. Usually it's an area, with multiple beds, not just one single bed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 am

tgreeno wrote:
Ragingun wrote:Sometimes quickly and sometimes never again. Speaking from experience it can be all over the place. A few years ago I found what I thought to be the best bed ever not only because a giant was using it but also because of the near impossible approach to the bed for predators. I found another bed that wasn't used near as much but it had your typical blow down on one side and good view on the other. The first bed after 3 seasons has yet to have a buck bed there again.....blows my mind but no other buck has adopted it yet. The second bed was finally used again after 2 seasons as I've seen it being used this year but like the first time I found it, it's not the primary bed.

Those are most likely not primary beds. Usually it's an area, with multiple beds, not just one single bed.

In certain cases that's true, in the case I experienced the dominant buck in that area used that same bed for years and it was his primary bed. After he has been gone, it's no longer used. Never figured out why since human traffic has always been there and hasn't increased nor has any food source etc. In fact it was used so much the depression in the ground from him still exists.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:00 am

Ragingun wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

In certain cases that's true, in the case I experienced the dominant buck in that area used that same bed for years and it was his primary bed. After he has been gone, it's no longer used. Never figured out why since human traffic has always been there and hasn't increased nor has any food source etc. In fact it was used so much the depression in the ground from him still exists.

I have seen that... But not to often.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am

I would think immediately as long as no other mature buck's in it.

The best bedding will stay the best unless something ruins it like hunter pressure logging or a natural disaster.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 pm

dan wrote:
Ragingun wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

I have seen that... But not to often.

Trying to learn more here Dan. Is there any reason why in your experience they did not return? I keep trying to figure out why but am thoroughly stumped. Later in that year after I found that the giant was killed I thought to myself "Don't worry about it, there will be another one using that bed next year" but the two seasons since have not proven that theory at all. I keep going over the possibilities but haven't been able to figure it out. No new buildings, similar food sources, the area still holds deer from does to younger bucks...... :think: This was one of those beds that had every tree around it rubbed, he was there even if he knew humans were there because no one could get at him and he was confident in that. The only time I pushed him out was when I nearly stepped on him when I initially found the bed and he was in it the next day again. I call that bed the sanctuary bed, just leaves me racking my brain that nothing has moved into it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:43 am

I have no idea... But I can say, most buck bedding areas used by mature bucks have multiple beds, and competition for those beds. When a lone buck is the only one that beds there he must see (smell) something the rest don't.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am

Curious as well, subb'ed

Only thing I can add is that certain areas are only physically big enough for one bed (small field edge on a point, fallen over trees, etc)...

I've personally only found solitary mature buck beds in the locations above and both have been shot, so I'm curious to see if these beds get used again.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”