Need Help

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wanabhunter

Need Help

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 am

OK so last season I found a gem of a spot. It was overlooked and literally about 40 yards off the road where I have several trail cam pics of bucks coming in checking it out and leaving. (More than half the photos where during the morning and day light hours). My friend hunted the spot several times last season and saw what we would call a shooter for my area. (Just not an ethical shot so he passed). This past weekend was the opener in my state, and one night I ran out during the wind and rain storm and change the batteries one more time before the pre/rut. I found out that someone else had moved in on that spot and put a tree stand literally 10 yards from mine. Whats worse is he is on the exact trail the deer come out on. Nonetheless, today 10-3-17 I went to put another camera out where I was hoping to cut the deer off from coming into this spot and someone else was in that area. (If you haven't guessed it, this is public land).

WHAT DO I DO?
Do I go in and hunt that spot even though its not ready?
Do I keep moving back and around hoping to catch the deer?
- Should i move more of my cameras to that area to help scout? (I have two there now)
Should I do a quick speed scouting mission?

Luckily for me most people are weekend warriors where my job allows me have off mostly during the weekday(s).

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Need Help

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 pm

I would personally stop with the cameras... Every time u go in there u r saturating the area and ruining any element of surprise plus in your case u r likely to get them stolen. I would set up farther down the trail close to his bed and take the other guy out of the equation.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I would personally stop with the cameras... Every time u go in there u r saturating the area and ruining any element of surprise plus in your case u r likely to get them stolen. I would set up farther down the trail close to his bed and take the other guy out of the equation.

X2
Extreme Effort Only
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 pm

First off...Do you know where the buck is bedding? If not, take your best guess and hunt his bedding! The cameras are not helping you. You already know there's a shooter. Get in there and kill him!

Why is the spot "not ready"? Why would you leave a stand in there, 40 yards off the road, for other hunters to key on?

In reality, you might already be too late? But you never know?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”