Illegal tree stand..what would you do?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
oldrank

Re: Illegal tree stand..what would you do?

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 am

I don't really give them much thought. Usually permanent stands get stolen anyhow. They don't last long. I am seeing more of an issue with abandoned ladder stands. Seems like guys leave them because they are work to get out.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 am

I don't have a GPS...just a compass :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:17 pm

I generally don't pay them much mind either. As someone already said it is free intel and if I know someone is hunting there it isn't a place I want to hunt. It just helps me narrow down my scouting and hunting locations in the area.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 pm

oldrank wrote:I don't really give them much thought. Usually permanent stands get stolen anyhow. They don't last long. I am seeing more of an issue with abandoned ladder stands. Seems like guys leave them because they are work to get out.

Yep....a huge problem on the public here in MI. I believe it's also to claim spots though.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

tbunao wrote:Mark it in your gps and figure out how they are accessing them. Free intel.

IMO I don't want the ruffle feathers. I'd rather know their spots than come out from a long hunt to a broken windshield or a flat tire.

This is my approach as well. If there is a stand there it's probably not an area I want to be hunting anyway. Usually there will be tacks coming in and out of that stand that can be helpful when going in and out at dark. I will try to use that same trail as my access.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 am

Great discussion! I turn in every single ladder stand I find and if i see screw in steps the coordinates are getting sent to conservation dpt. If its not labeled properly it's getting sent in as well. If a guy leaves his stand but but leaves no sticks, ill leave it be and keep walking.

However, i do ask myself if thats the guy i want to be...turning other peoples junk into the MDC. I play by the rules and I choose to hoof it w 20+ pounds every sit so my back doesn't feel bad about it at all.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 am

Darknight, I feel the same way. Used to feel guilty about calling them in but after a mile plus of hoofing out my stand and gear I'm usually singing a different tune :D
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 am

I've called a few in, still there a couple of years later. In a couple of cases, I believe it was the private next to the public, just trying to keep guys away. Drives me up the wall, but now that I know that is what is going on, I just ignore them. On another public spot, there are some guys with ladder stands in good looking spots, but.... The deer know hes there and they skirt his spot. If I was really paying attention last year, I would have set up on this one spot, a decent buck came thru 45 min. after I walked by a faint trail coming from the marsh. I did a "Beast NO/NO" skipped the hot sigh (big, fresh rub) by faint trail, and went to where I thought it would be better. It all made sense after it happened, Seen ladder stand out in the point, heard the buck snort when he crossed my back trail.

Do as you please.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 am

Im sory to say that if this NY they wont do a thing. I have tried, Mike
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 am

Ack wrote:
oldrank wrote:I don't really give them much thought. Usually permanent stands get stolen anyhow. They don't last long. I am seeing more of an issue with abandoned ladder stands. Seems like guys leave them because they are work to get out.

Yep....a huge problem on the public here in MI. I believe it's also to claim spots though.

Im with Ack here. I see a lot of really old stands on public, especially in southern MI public. There is some money in scrap metal out there by taking down aged and probably dangerous stands.

Im reading along since I dont know how to deal with them either. Some MI public Id have no cell battery left if I called them all in...
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 am

I found quite a few tree stands on IA public this summer and two sets that were made for people filming hunts. I can't stand IA public tree stand laws but at least I know where the pressure is going to be.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am

Never touch another mans stuff. Get the law involved or forget it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:04 am

Stanley wrote:Never touch another mans stuff. Get the law involved or forget it.

Thats how I feel. I've often thought about taking stands down myself but always think about what that situation could turn into if I stumbled into the guy while doing it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 am

I like to know where others hunt, if their stands go missing they know something is up, I have setup on bucks that are setup on entry trails of other hunters. I have also found hundreds of stands over the years, hard to get them all but I do turn in a few of the slobs who leave litter everywhere.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

headgear wrote:I like to know where others hunt, if their stands go missing they know something is up, I have setup on bucks that are setup on entry trails of other hunters. I have also found hundreds of stands over the years, hard to get them all but I do turn in a few of the slobs who leave litter everywhere.

I consider illegal stands to be litter. If somebody isn't currently hunting in them it's trash they left behind. In some cases guys hunt a spot in the morning and then leave the stand up for the evening hunt. In that case it's legal so I don't turn in stands that I find the first time. If it looks like it's been there awhile I call it in because either somebody just left it there or are actively claiming the spot. Wanted to mention I rarely find stands in spots I hunt but that still doesn't stop me from doing my part to clean up the trash.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”