Illegal tree stand..what would you do?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Maianwatahe

Re: Illegal tree stand..what would you do?

Unread postby Maianwatahe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

Zonk54 wrote:I found quite a few tree stands on IA public this summer and two sets that were made for people filming hunts. I can't stand IA public tree stand laws but at least I know where the pressure is going to be.
What do you mean? Tree stands are only allowed to be on public 2 weeks prior to the season

Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm

I've turned in several in the past but doesn't seem like anything gets done with them because I still see them. Now I just mark them on my gps so I can plot where the other hunters are. It's pretty amazing/cool how the main woods and field edges fill up with colored dots on a map. :lol:
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 am

Maianwatahe wrote:
Zonk54 wrote:I found quite a few tree stands on IA public this summer and two sets that were made for people filming hunts. I can't stand IA public tree stand laws but at least I know where the pressure is going to be.
What do you mean? Tree stands are only allowed to be on public 2 weeks prior to the season

Iowa dnr says 7 days prior to deer season and 7 days after closing deer season for tree stands. I found 7 or 8 this spring and summer while scouting. Maybe next year I'll keep coordinates of them and forward to dnr.
Maianwatahe

Unread postby Maianwatahe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

Zonk54 wrote:
Maianwatahe wrote:

Iowa dnr says 7 days prior to deer season and 7 days after closing deer season for tree stands. I found 7 or 8 this spring and summer while scouting. Maybe next year I'll keep coordinates of them and forward to dnr.

Really they must have changed it. Used to be 2 weeks prior a couple years ago
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:23 pm

tbunao wrote:Mark it in your gps and figure out how they are accessing them. Free intel.

IMO I don't want the ruffle feathers. I'd rather know their spots than come out from a long hunt to a broken windshield or a flat tire.

X2. Who wants altercations in the parking lot!? Other hunters will make you a better hunter whether they are good at it or not. Studying any hunter tendency will go a long ways.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 am

Its funny down here one place if stands are in the woods to soon before the season or are found after the season, the LEO's remove the stands.

Other places LEO's might monitor it to see if someone is using it and the reset they can careless.

It all depends on the LEO down here.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:28 am

I LOOK AT IT A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY... I would like to thank the guys leaving the stands out, cause then I know where not to hunt. If the spots where your looking have stands, garbage, obvious hunting sign, your in the wrong spot. Get over it and move on. If you make them take there stands in and out expect them to start hunting a lot more than that one spot. Food for thought...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Dan's post nails it on the head! The past year ive scouted several acres of wma, i probally found 15 to 20 stands that have been up for a lil while. Ky laws are the same as alot of everybody else's, there not supose to be there all year. For awhile it kinda made me mad, but after awhile i started thinking about where i was seeing the right sign and where i wasn't. In a few cases it made me see what was night sign, and realize i was in the wrong spot. Ya it really sucks that a lot of people dont follow rules And abuse things, but at the same time i came to realize, i can use it to my advantage by knowing whats going on in an area and be somewhere were i have better odds!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Stands on public land I leave alone. I'm walking past them anyways. If we find a stand on our farm, which is bordered by public. We simply take the stand down and leave a note for them to call us if they want it back. Nobody has called yet!
:lol:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

If it's clearly an abandoned stand and it's in the right spot, I'm setting up regardless.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 pm

dan wrote:I LOOK AT IT A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY... I would like to thank the guys leaving the stands out, cause then I know where not to hunt. If the spots where your looking have stands, garbage, obvious hunting sign, your in the wrong spot. Get over it and move on. If you make them take there stands in and out expect them to start hunting a lot more than that one spot. Food for thought...

I agree.

First thing I would do is find another spot to hunt. I don't like hunting around other people. Unless it's an overlooked spot and even then not often.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 pm

I see alot of old stands as well. Most of the stands are cheap and it's almost as of they don't care if someone takes it but i agree it stinks to carry your stuff in while others take shortcuts. Hopefully your dnr agent is willing to help with the problem instead of blowing you off
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I would notify the warden, especially when you are with someone who is just getting into the game. These new hunters probably don't have there morals and ethics set yet, so it's easy for em to get on the wrong track when they see others breaking game laws. In my experience new hunters especially youth tend to mirror whatever their mentor does, so if u turn your head and say not my problem he will most likely go through his hunting life doing the same. Or worse join the rules don't apply to me crowd!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I would notify the warden, especially when you are with someone who is just getting into the game. These new hunters probably don't have there morals and ethics set yet, so it's easy for em to get on the wrong track when they see others breaking game laws. In my experience new hunters especially youth tend to mirror whatever their mentor does, so if u turn your head and say not my problem he will most likely go through his hunting life doing the same. Or worse join the rules don't apply to me crowd!

I agree
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Turn them in. The rules are made so we all have the same opportunity.

There is a guy who keeps a ladder in the woods by me all year around, I got sick of it finally and threw it in the marsh when I was scouting last winter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”