Willow /reed canary swamps

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Flyers1001

Willow /reed canary swamps

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:16 am

I was wondering if anyone has expieremce hunting areas that are nothing but 6 ft canary grass and 8 to 10 ft red willows there is a few Popple ridges but the trees aren't really big enough to get more than 10 ft off the ground I've been chasing a 190-200in typical there for a couple years have jumped him twice and seen him the ag fields late at night while shining the swamp is 2 miles by 4 miles and I I can't figure out how to move in on him there's a lot of big buck sign everywhere in there on the few sparse willow trees there is Really no way to even setup an observation stand just wondering if anyone had any ideas
North western Mn true land of giants

Redman232

Re: Willow /reed canary swamps

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:03 am

I hunt a similar property. it's down right tough. The deer don't bushwack trails, meaning there are no "faint" trails thru the canary grass. If they are utilizing the canary grass they basically have to use the well worn trails. Find the beds and then hunt exist trails 1 at a time. One thing I have noticed is the deer will bed out in it like all other marshes, but the staging areas are further away from the beds than I see in other situations. I end up hunting off the ground at the first vegetation change down the exit trail.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:49 am

Yeah don't be afraid to use ground sits. Here's a good thread on setups. Link:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks stash I have some ground sits, but 90 percent of this place from the ground even standing I can only see 20 yards there are spots where some different types of shorter stuff but deer avoid them like the plauge they stick to the willow pockets connected by 6-7 ft canary I can the big trails that travel north to south on the aerials and know how they travel it. Last year we had a wet fall and the bedding areas are easier to find then but right now it's dry they can pretty much lay anywhere on a nice bed of canary straw. The one Popple ridge that is in there doesn't seem to be there focal point for some reason unless I'm missing something
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 am

I've shot a couple of bucks from less that 10 feet off the ground, just have to make due with what is there. If you have jumped him a couple of times I would say you have a decent idea of where to start, just have to get in there and setup the best you can. If it makes you feel better I hunt mostly swamps and rarely have more than a 20 yard shot. I would maybe start off on the outside and see if you can't get a look at him and save those places you jumped him for prime pre-rut time. A little calling here and there could pull him into range but less is more.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am

Flyers1001 wrote:Thanks stash I have some ground sits, but 90 percent of this place from the ground even standing I can only see 20 yards there are spots where some different types of shorter stuff but deer avoid them like the plauge they stick to the willow pockets connected by 6-7 ft canary I can the big trails that travel north to south on the aerials and know how they travel it. Last year we had a wet fall and the bedding areas are easier to find then but right now it's dry they can pretty much lay anywhere on a nice bed of canary straw. The one Popple ridge that is in there doesn't seem to be there focal point for some reason unless I'm missing something

Check out this link to my Hunting Journal. Look at the pics towards the bottom of the page about my marsh/cattail setups. This is similar to how Dan recommends how to setup in cattails. It's worth a try. Link:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=39045&start=45
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks stash I will have to try that see what I see
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am

Flyers1001 wrote:Thanks stash I will have to try that see what I see

I was a little late getting mine done. Dan likes Mid to late July to cut in the observation an shooting lanes. Plants are about done growing and season is far enough away to have time to calm down. If you go in now and disturb as little as possible. It should be okay in 5-6 weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Sounds like hunting from the ground is your only option but the tall grass is limiting you. That is a very tough situation. Good info in both links Stash provided.

The biggest thing I worry about with lanes in tall grass is "telegraphing" your location with your lane. I've done that so many times it isn't funny which is why I started tying brush to the tops of my lanes like I suggested in Stash's journal. It can look very unnatural to have a wall of grass or brush then a strait path to your location.

This suggestion might sound crazy, but sometimes crazy stuff works ;) I've thought about beating the "wall of grass and unnatural lane" issue by basically burrowing a tunnel down low at the height of a deer's vitals, keeping the tallest vegetation in tact. I'm thinking the closer you are to the trail the better... maybe 5 or 6 yards.

In theory, the buck will pass by with his eyes approximately level with his back or hopefully higher and won't even know you lane is there.

If it's me, my first try would be kneeling and bent over (borderline fetal position), shooting instinctive with a canted bow to avoid being seen as he passes by.

Obviously you'll only be able to watch one trail, and would need to at least be able to see antler tips coming in order to prepare for the shot.

Done right I think it will work. I would probably bring a 3 to 4' stick to clear the lane right where it meets the trail to avoid the scent issue.
willsk85

Unread postby willsk85 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:53 am

I came upon this thread with some similar questions. I had just talked to a buddy of mine last night who lives in ND. Up there, majority of public land has zero or very few trees. I asked him how he goes about setting up and where? Not knowing if they deer just bed down in grass or cattails, etc. If there is public land with trees, there are probably people in them. His response was "cattails!" He said they set up a ground blind just off of trails thru the cattails. I'm not 100% sure how he makes it work, but it works for him. He kills and sees mature bucks regularly.

On that note, has anyone tried any of those marsh seats you see for duck hunting? I'd fear kneeling for a longer period of time will eventually get you uncomfortable and tired and when you try to move around to get comfortable you're now making noise as well.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 am

Alot of guys do have their favorite seat/chair. Some have mentioned marsh seats. Comfort is pretty key.
willsk85

Unread postby willsk85 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 am

Came across this marsh seat. Some of the differences I like about this seat is the 36-56" height variable and it only weighs 4 lbs. The other major brand seats on the market only go up to 36". But, most know that things can sink a bit deeper than a couple inches from the surface of the muck. Maybe 36" is enough. I'm not familar with sitting in the marsh as others on here, but I need to be if I want to reach some areas.

They sell this seat on Amazon. But the link below is the site of the company that sells it and a link to Amazon is in the page.

http://www.djpsenterprises.com/surfnswampseat.shtml
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:16 am

This is similar to how we hunt SIKA deer here in MD. They frequent the salt marshes that are 8-10' tall phragmite. Probably wont work this season but we have bush-wacked trails to a spot we found lots of deer travel and set up tripod stands overlooking the area 20-60 yards away. We put 2' square pieces of plywood to keep the feet of the stand from sinking too deep. works better in rifle season because you will be able to see the intersecting trails where the vegetation changes heights. but a few stags and many more hinds have been taken during bow season from tripods. Otherwise, we sit the staging areas at the transition lines. as stated in a previous response.

Not sure if this would work where you are but an option..
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am

Have you tried a Still hunt. The whitetail adrenaline guys do it with the bow. I've doe it many times with a gun. Wait for a windy day and get your sneak on. Obviously using a gun would be easier but it can be done with the bow. Test your woodsmanship skills! That's some real hunting imo!
Still hunt or hunting from the ground seem to be your only options. Scouting in the spring and your hunting observations in the fall will get you where you need to be. Take a look at the marsh ground hunting tactics and apply them. It can be done!
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks for all the tips guys hopefully I can get this Minnesota marsh monster nailed down and get an arrow in him this buck has been haunting my dreams for 4 years now

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”