The 1/3 elevation rule

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AJB

Re: The 1/3 elevation rule

Unread postby AJB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:I've found it not to be an exact rule but a very good guideline. I've found terrian features such as a military creast around that 1/3 down from the top is where the sign is. I also think that the travel line can change based on the wind and thermals. I've found good sign higher and lower on the hills. You'll know it when you find it.

Good post!!

The 1/3 elevation rule is a generalization to get started w most hill country scenarios. Transitions, back cover, wind conditions and terrain changes all affect where youll find them. They dont all follow the rules but most bucks like the higher elevation. Pay close attention to topo lines that spread further apart bc these spots can be good. There can also be benches where half way down the hill it can flatten out to create a shelf, not all of these can be seen on a map. Try to concentrate on the ingredients. Dont underestimate an obstacle in front of them either. Good sign can be tough to find in some cases so judge the length of the bed and find hairs if you can. If you want to go hardcore... Setup right over the beds so you can shoot to them in the mornings.

This is exactly what I find in a lot of the areas i hunt. Most of the time the more mature buck bedding is down a lower (sometimes a good bit) on one of those benches that you find while scouting. Usually in these areas the cover is a lot thicker lower on the hill so that may have something to do with it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”