Could this be a bedding area???

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

Could this be a bedding area???

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Whats up guys? So this is in relation to my last post of the buck that i had on camera near a dove field. Ive put in about 9 hours scouting over the last two weeks with boots on the ground. Yes i used scent eliminator/cover. I followed his tracks from the camera, that led through a couple sandy roads with some woods in between. It eventually led me to a thicket/swampy area that is honestly just too thick to get through. Is it safe to think this could be where the big guy is bedding? It is about a half mile away from the dove field. WIth dove season hitting a week before deer season, do you think he will keep bedding in this area since its over 800M away from the fields? Im thinking of hanging a stand near this spot. Thanks for the advice! If you have any more questions on the situation please ask away!! Thanks!

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Could this be a bedding area???

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:16 pm

1/2 mile from bed to food isn't far at all for a buck to travel. I've got no experience in marsh/swamp areas so I'll let someone else fill you in on that part. Sounds like you found his home.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Anything too thick to get through is a good bet to be a bedding area, but it's always good to confirm this eventually.
Blakebry123

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Awesome thanks guys! Definitely what I like to hear.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:47 pm

"too thick to get through"

Sounds like great buck bedding to me! Figure out a way to hunt the edge of it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Sounds like you may have a spot worth a sit. I would personally stay out of there until you are ready to hunt it. Going in now to hang a stand is a sure way to bump a mature buck out for good. We're too close to season for stand prep. Hang the day you hunt and keep trimming to a minimum. Good luck!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Sounds good to me. Hope you get him!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree with these guys^^^

Tough time of year to get anything prepped ahead of time. Like James said you'll have to go in on hunt day and hope for the best.

Id be willing to look over an aerial if that interests you. Can PM me. I'm sure the others would be willing to take a look as well.

Either way, good luck!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 am

James wrote:Sounds like you may have a spot worth a sit. I would personally stay out of there until you are ready to hunt it. Going in now to hang a stand is a sure way to bump a mature buck out for good. We're too close to season for stand prep. Hang the day you hunt and keep trimming to a minimum. Good luck!

I agree... Just tracking the buck back to this area is damaging enough, now I would stay away till hunting season. Maybe the dove killers spook him, maybe not, maybe you already did, maybe not. You just have to throw a stand at it and see what happens. You can hunt dozens of scenarios just like you described before one actually pays off, just gotta keep working at more and not dwell on one spot.
Blakebry123

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 am

I gotcha. The only reason I'm not worried about spooking him is because I'm hunting an army base. There's always people running on the trails, ruck marching, and doing all other types of training. Leaving their scent everywhere. I didn't go running through the woods, just walked through all the sand roads around the immediate area and followed his tracks. I even had a guy on camera walking right through where I had my camera ruck marching. And the buck still came through that night. And I have a climber stand I plan to use, so whatever Day the wind is right once season hits I plan to setup near where he enters that thicket.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:35 am

As long as you stay in the normally used human areas you should be fine! Just realize, there is most likely an area he won't allow human pressure. So just be careful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Blakebry123

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 am

Sounds good I appreciate all the info!! I'm glad I didn't try to get into that thicket then haha

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”