Grrr need help!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Grrr need help!

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am

Hey guys unfortunately I have to ask a negative question. I live in Ohio right by Killbuck marsh wildlife area where there is a few thousand acres of public hunting. Extreme pressure by folks after deer, waterfowl, and fur bearers. The problem I have year after year is no matter how deep I go or how good of an overlooked spot I think of there is either sign of pressure or no sign of deer. I try to stay positive but I am slowly losing confidence in the area all together. This evening I checked a little 2 acre island by the RR tracks that I knew I had never seen anyone deer hunt. When I got back there I had high hopes seeing most of the trees were oaks. I saw zero deer sign from this year or years past although everything looked prime! Only thing I found was fresh cut branches to get back to a spot some duck hunters set up for season soon. My question is when do you throw in the towel on an area and say you know I have given this an honest of a try.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Jackson Marsh

Re: Grrr need help!

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 am

Sometimes you have to just move on from a property. Do you have any other viable options within a reasonable distance? Are good bucks killed out of the property you are frustrated with?

I've dumped properties that were tough to get away from other hunters and never regretted it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:14 am

So you walked the transitions and the points?

As Dan has always said..."Sign don't lie"!

If you don't see any, find a place where you do see it! That's my best advice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Sometimes you have to just move on from a property. Do you have any other viable options within a reasonable distance? Are good bucks killed out of the property you are frustrated with?

I've dumped properties that were tough to get away from other hunters and never regretted it.

Thats the only problem getting private permission around here is about like asking someone for their first born. And no more decent public land for about an hour away.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:23 am

tgreeno wrote:So you walked the transitions and the points?

As Dan has always said..."Sign don't lie"!

If you don't see any, find a place where you do see it! That's my best advice.

Hahaha I walked every square foot around and on the darn thing...not even one old rub or sign of a bed
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:25 am

Set up where roger rathaar did at killdeer. Right on the border of the goose refuge. I hunted another wma in northwest Ohio similar to that and it was tough to get away from hunters. Some nice bucks in the area but they get pushed onto the private after season starts imo. I would say hunt opening week and be aggressive. Do some observation sits to try and locate a shooter. If the area has any autumn olive thickets that's where I would look.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:28 am

Where I live it is really tough to find a spot without other hunter sign nearby. But I still see some nice bucks. Have to settle for where the other hunters are less often.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

I scouted that area for a day and 1/2 in march. I ran into a ridiculous amount of human sign no matter where I went. Doesn't mean that some good deer don't run through there I just moved on. There are good spots around you.... 8-)
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:29 am

It's a tough time to find sign right now. But with all the wet ground there I would think you would see something.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:38 am

Lots of Beasts travel at least an hour to areas.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:08 pm

May need to find another spot to check out. My closest spot to hunt is an hour away. I know that's easier said than done, but that's what the sign is telling me. Also, a fresh set of ground may give you more excitement/confidence going into the season. I love hunting new ground!
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm

tbunao wrote:I scouted that area for a day and 1/2 in march. I ran into a ridiculous amount of human sign no matter where I went. Doesn't mean that some good deer don't run through there I just moved on. There are good spots around you.... 8-)

I am glad you got to see it first hand haha do you live close?
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. All were helpful. Hopefully things will look up here soon and I will be able to get on something
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Weaver.b wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Sometimes you have to just move on from a property. Do you have any other viable options within a reasonable distance? Are good bucks killed out of the property you are frustrated with?

Thats the only problem getting private permission around here is about like asking someone for their first born. And no more decent public land for about an hour away.

If I only hunted places that were inside a 1 hour drive I would never hunt. It sucks that your nearest area is overrun with pressure but the more you branch out and find other areas you will be rewarded. I hunt any day I can get away from work but if I only had one area I might be at the mercy of natures schedule.

You can always keep you close spot for decompression sits and on really crummy days when other hunters will be by the fire drinking cocoa. LOL

I like to still hunt here in the rain on the heavily pressured areas and I rarely see hunters and have killed a few deer that way.

Hope this helps
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks! I do intend to go for some weekend trip hunts this year. I am excited to go to southern ohio where I went to college. If I would have had half a clue how to hunt the hill country when I was down there I think I would of put some big ones down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”