Opening morning routine

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Opening morning routine

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:36 am

I know that most of you do not hunt mornings during the early part of the season, so I was curious what your opening day (morning) routine looks like? Do you still set up in the morning in an observation type of sit and do some glassing, or do you just do some light scouting on foot before getting prepped for the evening hunt in a pre-scouted location? I am mostly wondering about the guys who are planning on hunting public over opening weekend.

Last year opening morning i set up in a location alongside a road where i could see a good distance. My goal was to just watch the area and hopefully see a buck heading back into a swamp (known bedding area). I ended up seeing a few does before shooting light but that was it. I've spent other opening mornings driving around and monitoring the pressure that each property is receiving.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Opening morning routine

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 am

I still hunt early season mornings and find them productive when certain factors line up. However, it has to be in the right type of location that can be approached properly. Killed my buck last year on 9/17 in the morning coming back to bed down.

I think if conditions are correct, you gotta be aggressive early on whether it's on public or private. There is nothing wrong with sitting back and glassing an area from a distance too though.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 am

Ideally, if you can sit in the morning and observe the buck going into his bedding for the day. Then set-up to kill him that night!

Obviously that is a best case scenario!

I think scouting on opening morning could be tough with all the opening weekend warriors out there. I too like to monitor pressure, and see where guys are hunting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:53 am

I hunt mornings. Especially opening morning because I am so pumped up to get out there. But I am careful and have over a million acres of public at my disposal so I have dozens of spots marked and add more every year. I have a sort of intuitive ranking of my spots and don't go into my best spots unless the conditions are right.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am

My first hunts are usually spent writing myself notes on things I have forgotten. I really just try to relax and get myself into gear.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Budgetbucks1

Unread postby Budgetbucks1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

I usually hunt opening morning where I know I can get a shot on a doe to start my season off right. I have several spots that I only hunt early season for does and I never come back to. I seem to never see a good buck in those spots so I just do some meat hunting to get my season started. I keep clear of my rut stands at this time of year and save them for later.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:05 am

My opening day routine normally consists of sleeping in, briefly contemplating suicide from pounding to many Jäger bombs the night before, promise myself that won't happen next year, make myself a greasy breakfast burrito and try to sobber up, watch some hunting DVDs, take a nap, read through my journal, check wind and weather, make final decision on where I'm hunting, kiss wife and kiddo and head out, realize half way there I forgot half my crap, turn around get stuff, be in a panic cause I'm running late, be sweating like a crooked politician climbing in stand and sit back take a deep breath and thank god the season is here!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

I hardly ever hunt in the mornings. My first hunt is usually the afternoon on opening day. I usually try to get out of work at a decent time and hunt a public spot that's not too far away. I consider this hunt more of a practice hunt, just to get me back in a routine. I always test out anything new over the summer but it always seems like I find something I don't like or want to change after that first sit. Or I find out I am being too loud and need to slow down and take my time.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 am

tgreeno wrote:Ideally, if you can sit in the morning and observe the buck going into his bedding for the day. Then set-up to kill him that night!

Obviously that is a best case scenario!

I think scouting on opening morning could be tough with all the opening weekend warriors out there. I too like to monitor pressure, and see where guys are hunting.

I think morning observations if possible would help tremendously. After locating one you can come up worth a plan on how to attack either morning or night
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
I think if conditions are correct, you gotta be aggressive early on whether it's on public or private. There is nothing wrong with sitting back and glassing an area from a distance too though.

Interested to hear what conditions you like to try to capitalize on morning hunts
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Good feedback and driving around and checking the pressure...for years I prepared and went to my best stands on first morning and have never killed on opening day so I'll be doing some things different this seaso
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:

Interested to hear what conditions you like to try to capitalize on morning hunts

X2 I'm assuming you mean a cold front, storm, or moon phase or something?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Opening weekend I'm very cautious usually hunt spots that are remote.

Climb out of bed 2am take shower leave house by 2:30 at hunting area by 4am walk to stand setup by 5am at the latest.

I hunt areas I know no one will hunt on weekends. Monday - Friday is when I hunt my best spots while everyone's at work.

Less chance of someone figuring out my spots.

I hunt where a buck j hooks or a creek crossing by the bucks bed.

9am climb down drive by a few of my other areas to look for other hunters in them.

Grab lunch at terrible fast food places since it's about all their is around sometimes which is barely edible then off to afternoon stand.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm

muddy wrote:My first hunts are usually spent writing myself notes on things I have forgotten. I really just try to relax and get myself into gear.

Same.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”