Hunting the wind on public ground

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter1

Hunting the wind on public ground

Unread postby Bowhunter1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and I was hoping you folks and possibly dan could help me out with something that is new to me. I have always tried to hunted with the wind hitting me in the face and blowing out of the areas I expect deer to bed. I have been reading religiously all summer about you guys hunting bucks using wind a different way with it blowing into the area the deer are and setting up in a spot in which the wind will blow just out of the bucks line of smell..... this is all new to me and has me really nervous. I have recently started to learn the ropes hunting a big chunk of public ground that boarders a lake. Is this tactic of using the wind this way a good way to hunt does? What would be the best time of day to hunt some of the marsh ares around the lake. I am believing that the deer are feeding at night in the ag fields and making there way back to the public to bed but they could also be meddling around the lake edge also. I just don't want to be walking out to the areas and bumping deer in the morning....any thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated

stash59

Re: Hunting the wind on public ground

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Welcome to the Hunting Beast. You'll enjoy it!!!

Most don't use these tactics to target does. But in the right situations does are taken should the opportunity arise.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:56 pm

I suggest skipping the mornings in your case, bucks will be bedded ahead of u and since u r not positive on the bedding u will prob do more harm than good. Stick with evenings closer to feed since u r not sure of beds and work your way in. It's better to be out of range and live to fight another day verses starting off to close and tipping your hand in my opinion. Evenings just don't blow wind towards beds but realize the thermals are what's gonna get u a shot come prime time. Come rut start hunting mornings
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm

As you ready the Beast, you will see that Dan promotes evening hunting of the bedding areas - he moves in early in the afternoon, when he believes deer are their most relaxed, having been laying around a bit without being disturbed.

When you scout for bedding areas you will find both buck and doe areas. This will allow you to hunt whichever you want.

I'm one of those guys who often hunts does and finding the main doe area/travel route is getting easier for me with Beast techniques - entries & exits, thermals, and wind directions.
Bowhunter1

Unread postby Bowhunter1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I really appreciated it. How early would you think a buck will make his way back to his bedding area? I'm curious on if it is possible to beat him back...
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

that's a tough one to answer, to be honest mornings it's to hard to judge when they will be back to bed, it can be right before light it can be hrs before light. it's deff possible but a lot of factors play into it.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Bowhunter1 wrote:Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I really appreciated it. How early would you think a buck will make his way back to his bedding area? I'm curious on if it is possible to beat him back...

I've had some luck hunting beds in the morning but I think you have to be real sure where they are j hooking into the bed. Also hunting moon days or rainy mornings where the deer will be up later in the morning. I think you have to be really lucky. The buck in my avatar was killed on a morning where all the stars aligned. It was a moon day, raining, and I had a pretty good idea where he would j hook due to a steep ravine below him. I setup directly down wind of the bed on the edge of the ravine and by 7:00am on Oct. 1st I had my buck.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

I've had success hunting mornings closer/during the rut, but they're more "stupid" then. I haven't had much luck early season in the mornings so I have primarily stuck to evening hunts. For the most part, I think they reach their beds in the early season prior to the sunrise anyways.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”