Suggestions needed on my scouting trip, Topo map

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aaron Jones
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.m.jones.90?ref=bookmarks

Suggestions needed on my scouting trip, Topo map

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:48 am

Alrighty, this is my second post. Life caught up with me very quickly after I did my introduction.
I am doing a public land hunt up in the north east states this fall. I just recently drove the 16 hours up there to get boots on the ground. I have my spots that I like and other spots that I don't like. But it was all good information to know though.

I have been reading topos for several years know but I am definitely not an expert. I know the basic function and some deer patterns for specific terrain areas but I still have a lot to learn.
I was hoping to pick some of your brains so that you could either reassure what I was originally thinking or tell me that I have it all wrong. Also, if there was anything that I missed that in the topos that I should have looked at would be beneficial to me. The hunt will take place on September 14-16. So there won't be any rutting activity. Should be strictly food, water, and bedding.

Map #1:
Legend:
White Stars: Possible stand locations that I picked out.
Red Line: a visible deer trail that I followed.
Yellow Boxes/circle: Think underbrush areas.
Blue box: White oak trees. (a good concentration of 20 or so)
Grey Boxes: I didnt get a good look at those saddles because It was about to start pouring rain. I forgot my ziplock baggie to put my camera in so I have to run through the area.
Purple Box: Camp

This was my first day of scouting. I wanted to hit all the saddles along the ridge tops. I have always loved hunting saddles. I found some deer sign but not what I was looking for. The brown circles are when I found definite sign. The bottom brown circle: i found 6-7 rubs in a semi-circle and deer scat was everywhere in there. There was also a last year scape not far for those rubs. That was in the middle of those thick areas which I thought would be buck bedding. But I did not see or find any visible bedding. The top brown circle: I found another last year scrape.
As for the white oak trees, it was still relatively thick in there, but it wasn't as thick as the yellow boxes/circle. It looked like a good area for a food source.
I honestly wasn't as excited as I thought I would be when I was looking at this area on the topos. I thought this would be the spot. It is the furthest point from any road. I was 1.5 miles back in. I did find a makeshift blind really close to the last saddle. It had like 20 empty water bottles and some hot hands. It looked like a gun spot though because it was over looking a large ravine.

Map #2:
Legend:
Purple Circle: Old clear cut from several years ago. brush very thick in areas. I saw several deer trails in it. I traveled the edge of it and it was an obvious deer trail.
Brown Box: it was a buck rub line.

This was my second day scouting. I wanted to hit the saddles on the ridges again. I was disappoint when I got to the spot because on the ridge to the south there was a hunting road that was closed but would open in season. I didnt bother looking at those saddles because I didnt want to be set up on a road. The other ridge top had a hiking trail. I decided to at least walk down the hiking trail. When I got to the saddles there were extremely thick. I had to push my way through the area. I decided to branch off the main trail and go down a spur that wasn't steep. It was thick on both sides of the spur in the ravines. the top of the spur was manageable. I got to the bottom, and found a prominent deer crossing on the creek. That Is where the White star is located in the ravine. I also put my trail camera over the spot. I decided to walking up the creek to the long spur coming off the main ridge top to the left. As soon as I crossed the creek at the crossing, I saw some rubs. Then I starting looking and there were rubs everywhere. Old rubs, some several years old, and others from last year. I followed the trail up the creek, and the rubs never stopped. I stopped counting at 30 rubs. the trail came to the beginning of the spur. the trail branched off left and right into the ravines and one went straight up the spur. At this crosspoint there where also more rubs. I walking up the main spur. Picked out several trees but there were just extras. That way I would at least know there is a tree there that I could get in. I walking up all the way to the top. It came to the old clear cut. It was so thick that I didnt want to bush wack it to the road. The road was probably only 50-60 yards away. I walked along the edge of the brush following a deer trail. Whenever I noticed trails going into the thicket I found a tree slightly off of it in the old clear cut that I could get in and get high enough to see the trails.
This spot I was super excited about. The creek crossing is what I think will produce a deer, either a doe or buck. I feel like that would be a good place to sit all day, because it having a creek with water. In september I thought I might catch one mid day needing a drink? Plus the thickets in the saddles and ravines could hold potential bedding.

Map #3:
Legend:
Railroad Hollow: old road but no vehicle activity. It was grown up and chest high someplace.
Blue box: White oak trees. These white oaks were everywhere. I would say 90% of the trees where white oaks in that saddle and on that ridge.
Purple line: It was a rock wall. 10-15 feet high. It funneled the deer around it. At the base of the rock wall, there was a trail worn down to dirt.
Brown Boxes: was deer sign, mainly scat. BUT BUT BUT BUT the brown box at the top near the thick area were definite deer beds, I saw the compressions in the grass that was growing there.

This spot I feel like it has it al. I really want to hunt this area. I want to hunt the rock wall area. I am worried about swirling wind, Will that be a problem?
The oak saddles looks amazing. It looked like they cruised right along that. The bed at the top looked great as well. But I felt like that was pushing too far into there bed. I thought staying 100-150 years away in the oak saddle would be better? maybe not?

Can you guys help me get all of this into perspective? Thank you so much! I am sorry for the long read. I am traveling a long way for a total of 5 hunts. two and a half days. I would really like to be successful on this trip. even if that is a 2.5 old buck or a doe. I would definitely be happy with a doe. Thank you guys!

Loving the Public Land pursuit!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Suggestions needed on my scouting trip, Topo map

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 am

Those ridgeline spots look like you're in the right ballpark. From map scouting alone, I wouldn't put much stock in the creek location, looks like a wind nightmare to me. Maybe the ridge or a false ridge above it if the conditions are right.

Here is how I would approach it. You are working with a crazy short amount of time to get it done. That early you still may be looking at summer patterns and bucks in bachelor groups. I would pick a couple spots you scouted and are confident is bedding, near some oaks, and get in there early in the mornings and hope you guessed right. Afternoons,I would be mobile and hit some different areas with my stand on my back and hunt fresh sign, especially oaks dropping acorns. Take what knowledge you can, hopefully get a whack at something, and come back in November for one of the big boys.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Aaron Jones

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:15 am

elk yinzer wrote:Those ridgeline spots look like you're in the right ballpark. From map scouting alone, I wouldn't put much stock in the creek location, looks like a wind nightmare to me. Maybe the ridge or a false ridge above it if the conditions are right.

Here is how I would approach it. You are working with a crazy short amount of time to get it done. That early you still may be looking at summer patterns and bucks in bachelor groups. I would pick a couple spots you scouted and are confident is bedding, near some oaks, and get in there early in the mornings and hope you guessed right. Afternoons,I would be mobile and hit some different areas with my stand on my back and hunt fresh sign, especially oaks dropping acorns. Take what knowledge you can, hopefully get a whack at something, and come back in November for one of the big boys.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am definitely going to be mobile as well. I am worried about the wind in the creek bottoms as well. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it back up there. I will have one shot at this! Thank you for you input! it is greatly appreciated.

Anyone else have some ideas?
Aaron Jones

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Anyone else have some ideas? Or could help me out with how I'm going to set up on these?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:42 am

Aaron Jones wrote:Anyone else have some ideas? Or could help me out with how I'm going to set up on these?

I'll take a look whenever I get to my PC. In the mean time you should delete your maps and black out the words. Then re upload. There's a few threads going around about stolen spots. :snooty:
Aaron Jones

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:
Aaron Jones wrote:Anyone else have some ideas? Or could help me out with how I'm going to set up on these?

I'll take a look whenever I get to my PC. In the mean time you should delete your maps and black out the words. Then re upload. There's a few threads going around about stolen spots. :snooty:

Thank you for the advice. I will take this thread down once I get back from the hunt itself. That way it can't be used in the future but I can also update people on how the hunt turned out. thank you for any advice you can give me!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Try to focus scouting slopes 1-3rd from the top.

I noticed most of your white stars are in Rut spots not very close to where I would expect bedding. A few of those red trails look like nighttime spots.

I'd be careful hunting low in those drainages winds swirl a lot.

Map 1

On your first image the grey box area near the top white star looks promising if a bucks using that spot it most likely will bed their on a South Wind.

Look south east of the eastern 1000 marker that spot stands out. 2 of your red lines are headed up near it.

The top brown circle might look for a possible bed just northeast of it on that point. Not sure how open it is. It's where you said you found beds so it's probably a decent.

Map 3 railroad one below.

Check out that point by Run.

Your white star on railroad looks good. Bedding could be South of it or anywhere along that slope depending on how open it is.

Check out the Rail road map just South and slightly east of the 900 marker.Near that big deep cut South of the hub.

I'm no expert just pointing out what stands out too me.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

The 1000 marker southeast of it 2 red lines head near it is on map 2 not 1 .

I didn't put map 2 on my post. Listed it under map 1.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Aaron Jones

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:51 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Try to focus scouting slopes 1-3rd from the top.

I noticed most of your white stars are in Rut spots not very close to where I would expect bedding. A few of those red trails look like nighttime spots.

I'd be careful hunting low in those drainages winds swirl a lot.

Map 1

On your first image the grey box area near the top white star looks promising if a bucks using that spot it most likely will bed their on a South Wind.

Look south east of the eastern 1000 marker that spot stands out. 2 of your red lines are headed up near it.

The top brown circle might look for a possible bed just northeast of it on that point. Not sure how open it is. It's where you said you found beds so it's probably a decent.

Map 3 railroad one below.

Check out that point by Run.

Your white star on railroad looks good. Bedding could be South of it or anywhere along that slope depending on how open it is.

Check out the Rail road map just South and slightly east of the 900 marker.Near that big deep cut South of the hub.

I'm no expert just pointing out what stands out too me.

Thank you for your input. I am definitely worried about swirling winds. That might be a potential problem in the drainages. I will definitely check out those new spots when I get back there and might set up there if there is hot sign in he area. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”