Most challenging public land DIY hunts

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Most challenging public land DIY hunts

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:57 am

This is the time of year that I start planning for the upcoming season, continuning to work on the bucketlist.

Thinking about several hunts, I know quite a few people on the site plan DIY public land hunts. And would like to know some experiences and challenges that were faced going and planning some of these hunts, aswell as lessoned learned and things that would be done differently if you were going to do the hunt all over again.

76chevy
500 Club

Re: Most challenging public land DIY hunts

Unread postby 76chevy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 am

it all starts with good aerials of there area you are hunting--also look at harvest data to see good places to start your search

I like to spend a few days in a new area over the winter to scout some spots out for the next fall, this time in invaluable once the season opens

There lots of great public areas here in IN if you are interested in coming here just PM me
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 am

one thing I have learned which might be obvious to most on here...

Don't fall into the trap of hunting the same worn out obvious spots off the parking areas that everyone else hunts--I have done it and it does not work for mature bucks

Also, There is no substitute for time in the woods walking and taking your time looking and learning how deer move through an area
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 am

The biggest thing with me and remote hunts is remembering everything I need. I have a tendancy to forget something important each hunt. I am planning on hitting Superior National forest in Minnesota this fall for bears.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:49 pm

to go along with the tread title,for someone to come in blind with only computer info,and hunt central upper michigan with a bow and kill a three and a half year old IMO would be quite challenging! I live here and cant do that on a consistant basis :lol:
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Here's a tip.....If you ever hunt Ky. from September through early October. Bring some kind of tick repellent, the seed ticks will coverer you by the 1,000's.

76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 am

those are NASTY little things

DEET on your skin and Permethrin on clothing is the best defense :D :D

http://www.rei.com/product/768970

Autumn Ninja wrote:Here's a tip.....If you ever hunt Ky. from September through early October. Bring some kind of tick repellent, the seed ticks will coverer you by the 1,000's.

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:42 pm

dan wrote:The biggest thing with me and remote hunts is remembering everything I need. I have a tendancy to forget something important each hunt. I am planning on hitting Superior National forest in Minnesota this fall for bears.

LOL...I'm there with ya, must be a age thing and it's getting worse. Only bear hunted one time in the WUP of MI and was unsucessful. Would like to try it again. How do you deal with
baiting, being far from home?
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:to go along with the tread title,for someone to come in blind with only computer info,and hunt central upper michigan with a bow and kill a three and a half year old IMO would be quite challenging! I live here and cant do that on a consistant basis :lol:

U.P. Man,can be a challenging hunt on public. Hunted the W.U.P.
public from 1981-2003, Porcupines and Sylvania wilderness mostly, use to be decent hunting, people that I know up that way have had some difficult hunts the last few years though.
Had some good hunts in 80's and 90's, then went downhill alot.
Had a couple invites to hunt the Keweenaw and Huron's out of Big bay, last couple year's, maybe will do a late season up there.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm

dan wrote:The biggest thing with me and remote hunts is remembering everything I need. I have a tendancy to forget something important each hunt. I am planning on hitting Superior National forest in Minnesota this fall for bears.

I hate to admit this,but back in december my buddy and i arrived at our hunting spot and began to get our gear ready. We drove 30 minutes to get there and i conveniently forgot my whole quiver of arrows at home. :oops: It will be awhile before i live that one down.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Don't forget me!!!!!! :lol:
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Have been do some research on DIY moose hunts and DIY antelope
hunts.

Have a couple of buddies that did a Alaska trip for moose a couple years ago, bushplane/2 week float trip, rubber raft camping on the river. They are going again this year, and got a invite, sounds fun...but I like being comfortable also, must be that age thing again.

Has anyone done a Ontario moose hunt? checking that out...doing
a remote lake fly-in cabin.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Tadmdad wrote:

LOL...I'm there with ya, must be a age thing and it's getting worse. Only bear hunted one time in the WUP of MI and was unsucessful. Would like to try it again. How do you deal with

The good thing for a Non-resident Minnesota bear hunter is you only get 2 weeks of baiting time legally and there is no limet to bait amount, so if you have a small dedicated group who chips in for gas and you bait on the two weekends prior to season its doable.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Accommodations! Make sure you have everything you need and your as comfortable as possible. This may sound obvious, but the more comfortable and rested you are the better job you do while hunting and the less likely you are to miss a hunt. Plus it's just plain more enjoyable. In the last two years I have had what I believe would have been my best hunts ever ruined because I could not stay warm, dry and therefore well rested. Maybe it's just because I'm becoming an old fart, but I just can't seem to take much abuse as I used to.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 pm

dan wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:

The good thing for a Non-resident Minnesota bear hunter is you only get 2 weeks of baiting time legally and there is no limet to bait amount, so if you have a small dedicated group who chips in for gas and you bait on the two weekends prior to season its doable.

Thanks for the info....Where we deer hunt in N. MN, we see quite a few old baitsites from bear hunters. But that's the first week of November, and the season is probably over by then. I'll have to do some more homework, to fiqure out if we can combine a deer and bear hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”