Louisiana Hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sugcain04

Louisiana Hunting

Unread postby Sugcain04 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Anyone on here from down South? I do a lot of reading on here and have learned a lot also but South Louisiana is an animal of its own. Wonder if anyone else has to battle the 6 foot palmettos and cutovers? Would love to talk strategy.

Killemquietly

Re: Louisiana Hunting

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm in Slidell, cbigbear is in pontchatoula, and there's a few other southern boys as well. Lots of palmetto in honey island where I cut my teeth, also Bogue Chitto. I honestly don't know if deer bed in them but hogs sure do. Where you located?
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:17 am

In florida, deer love to hide in palmettos. They get in a thicket of them and you do not even know they are there.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:08 pm

I am from New Roads and hunt north Louisiana. There are a lot of palmettos and yes the deer bed in them. Most of the beds I find are on the edge of really thick palmettos on the edge of slews. Have not found that much in the real thick palmettos, but then again if you can get through there to find anything you are doing good.
Sugcain04

Unread postby Sugcain04 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am

I'm near Opelousas and do a lot of hunting in THistlewaite during the late season. I've been able to get close to some real good deer in there but the visibility in that place is a nightmare. It's a Struggle to narrow down on their bedding since 90% of this place is logged and usually wait until the cruising stage and setup on main trails. Do a lot of hunting in public in North La also.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

Thistlewaite can be a nightmare. A lot of real thick palmettos. I have never hunted it but have been all over it with work and we held some 3-d shoots out there many years ago. They have some monsters.
Hoss606

Unread postby Hoss606 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 am

Jussbowz wrote:I am from New Roads and hunt north Louisiana. There are a lot of palmettos and yes the deer bed in them. Most of the beds I find are on the edge of really thick palmettos on the edge of slews. Have not found that much in the real thick palmettos, but then again if you can get through there to find anything you are doing good.

Got a buddy, his family owns a lot of land in Batchelor. I have a lot of family from the new roads area as well. They have some good deer in that area
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 am

I'm from north of you in Louisiana. Instead of palmettos we have mature pine stands, cut overs, and youpons!

We all oughta get together one day and make a hunt on a wma...this many beasts together, something big oughta die!
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Hoss606 wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:I am from New Roads and hunt north Louisiana. There are a lot of palmettos and yes the deer bed in them. Most of the beds I find are on the edge of really thick palmettos on the edge of slews. Have not found that much in the real thick palmettos, but then again if you can get through there to find anything you are doing good.

Got a buddy, his family owns a lot of land in Batchelor. I have a lot of family from the new roads area as well. They have some good deer in that area

I am very familiar with that area. I am sure we know some of the same people. I have lived in the New Roads area my whole life. And yes there are some really good deer here. But I quit hunting private land here in the parish and mostly hunt public land in the northern part of the state.
Bowhunter27
Facebook: johnandtiffiney@yahoo.com

Unread postby Bowhunter27 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53 am

Im from Moss bluff but live in lafayette. Strictly hunt North la public land... And you're spot, jusbows, about bucks bedding at edge of sloughs where palmetoes are thickest...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”