Hunting kansas in late October ?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GoInLight

Hunting kansas in late October ?

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

I'm hunting near dodge city Kansas this October 25-Nov 1st. Anyone know what I should expect as far as movement? Am I showing up too early or is it a good time to catch a big one on his feet? I'm hoping mature deer aren't locked down and I might be able to call or decoy one in. I'm hunting with an outfitter, so I'm assuming the deer won't be pressured.... I know, I know I can't actually count it if I kill one, but it's going to be a great vacation. I hope!

ERICBROOKS

Re: Hunting kansas in late October ?

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:55 pm

If you can hit a cold front during those dates you should have good hunt. If it's 80* it has potential to be pretty slow.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm

ERICBROOKS wrote:If you can hit a cold front during those dates you should have good hunt. If it's 80* it has potential to be pretty slow.

Thanks man. I'm counting the closer it gets to Halloween maybe action will pick up. I've never hunted in the Midwest so it'll be an adventure anyway
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

ERICBROOKS wrote:If you can hit a cold front during those dates you should have good hunt. If it's 80* it has potential to be pretty slow.

X2. It's why I don't go that early.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Do you like the first two weeks in November? I'm going public next year if I can. I was kinda thinking people would be everywhere for prime rut action.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 am

It really depends on your goals. What kind of buck would you be happy in killing? Mature bucks are going to get the first does that come in and will be out searching for the last ones as the rut tails off. The middle part you will see more 2.5 and 3.5 running all over and any 5yr olds will usually be hooked up with a doe.

I prefer the tail off part as the weather is colder and the older bucks are back on their feet searching.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:02 am

mainebowhunter wrote:It really depends on your goals. What kind of buck would you be happy in killing? Mature bucks are going to get the first does that come in and will be out searching for the last ones as the rut tails off. The middle part you will see more 2.5 and 3.5 running all over and any 5yr olds will usually be hooked up with a doe.

I prefer the tail off part as the weather is colder and the older bucks are back on their feet searching.

I've only been to Kansas once. So take my experience with a grain of salt, but Maines post seems spot on. We hunted later November last year (19-26) with most of the action for us between the 19-21 although I did see a really good buck 23rd or 24th. If/when I go again, i would target Nov 10-20th range. On a shorter trip nov 14-19th
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:43 am

mainebowhunter wrote:It really depends on your goals. What kind of buck would you be happy in killing? Mature bucks are going to get the first does that come in and will be out searching for the last ones as the rut tails off. The middle part you will see more 2.5 and 3.5 running all over and any 5yr olds will usually be hooked up with a doe.

Man thanks, I'd be thrilled with a 3.5 or 4.5 year old buck. Just something at least semi mature. I'm locked into my dates this year because of the outfitter, but next year I'm planning a DIY trip. I'll target those later dates for sure. Hope you kill a big one this year!
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:48 am

seazofcheeze wrote:

I've only been to Kansas once. So take my experience with a grain of salt, but Maines post seems spot on. We hunted later November last year (19-26) with most of the action for us between the 19-21 although I did see a really good buck 23rd or 24th. If/when I go again, i would target Nov 10-20th range. On a shorter trip nov 14-19th

I think I'll probably try later November because of the points Maine brought up and I'm hoping maybe the hunting pressure will be lower..... This is off topic, but a September DIY hunt out west really intrigues me. I've read that a lot of folks are chasing elk and mulies so the whitetails are pretty much left alone.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 am

Cross your fingers for a cold front on oct 28th :D

2015 showed up on 11.5 it was 70 degrees. That night never saw a deer.
11.6 AM it was 35 deg. Crazy the power of a cold front. It was rocking.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Cross your fingers for a cold front on oct 28th :D

2015 showed up on 11.5 it was 70 degrees. That night never saw a deer.
11.6 AM it was 35 deg. Crazy the power of a cold front. It was rocking.

:pray:
PLP

Unread postby PLP » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 am

Absolutely..Last year it was so hot the deer did almost all movement and rut activity at night.If you go to Kansas Late Oct/early Nov that will most likely still be prerut..Best thing to do will be rattle a little right after light when you can see your pins good to catch one slipping back to bed.Mid day activity shouldn't be overlooked bc they will stretch when they are primarily nocturnal at that time,I can tell you one thing ive learned is when most guys are saying they arent seeing much it is because the deer are moving mid day...Its doubtful you will see much cruising.The corn fields should be picked by then.I would set out some estrus too 40yds on either side of you so that if one hits that he will smell it before he smells you..There will probably be more activity around drains.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:17 am

PLP wrote:

Absolutely..Last year it was so hot the deer did almost all movement and rut activity at night.If you go to Kansas Late Oct/early Nov that will most likely still be prerut..Best thing to do will be rattle a little right after light when you can see your pins good to catch one slipping back to bed.Mid day activity shouldn't be overlooked bc they will stretch when they are primarily nocturnal at that time,I can tell you one thing ive learned is when most guys are saying they arent seeing much it is because the deer are moving mid day...Its doubtful you will see much cruising.The corn fields should be picked by then.I would set out some estrus too 40yds on either side of you so that if one hits that he will smell it before he smells you..There will probably be more activity around drains.

This is exactly my plan. I'm going to sit all day and hopefully catch one in the mood to respond to a call.
PLP

Unread postby PLP » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 am

GoInLight wrote:
PLP wrote:

This is exactly my plan. I'm going to sit all day and hopefully catch one in the mood to respond to a call.
Good luck!!!
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:14 am

With an outfitter it will depend on weather. If it's a good outfitter the pressure will hopefully be low. My best action has been weather fronts and cold fronts. Good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”