***POSTING PUBLIC AERIALS***

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: ***POSTING PUBLIC AERIALS***

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:06 am

I had a guy pick out my exact location at a spot once from a HAND DRAWN topo map of a ridge I was hunting on one of my videos. That was pretty impressive. He was spot on lol. Luckily he was another beast hunter and we've connected and started bouncing ideas off one another for various areas.

I learned a lot back in the day posting aerials of places I was scouting and hunting and having guys like Dan offer feedback. It's too bad that there are guys out there just lurking for a handout, while others are legitimately trying to help and learn. Since I've started making YouTube videos, I've met a lot of guys online who hunt the same areas. So now I have to know that posting aerials might not just hurt me, but could affect their hard work as well.

Lately I've been trying to expand my boundaries and find stuff that isn't as well known. If I google search I WMA and cant find a drop of info other than the state website, that's a plus for me.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:59 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I had a guy pick out my exact location at a spot once from a HAND DRAWN topo map of a ridge I was hunting on one of my videos. That was pretty impressive. He was spot on lol. Luckily he was another beast hunter and we've connected and started bouncing ideas off one another for various areas.

I learned a lot back in the day posting aerials of places I was scouting and hunting and having guys like Dan offer feedback. It's too bad that there are guys out there just lurking for a handout, while others are legitimately trying to help and learn. Since I've started making YouTube videos, I've met a lot of guys online who hunt the same areas. So now I have to know that posting aerials might not just hurt me, but could affect their hard work as well.

Lately I've been trying to expand my boundaries and find stuff that isn't as well known. If I google search I WMA and cant find a drop of info other than the state website, that's a plus for me.

I’ve googled searched a bunch of WMAs. One of my areas is very popular especially on the state forum. Many threads started about it.Other areas I’ve searched there’s very little if any info. I’ve been doing it since I started public 4 years ago. So you make an excellent point
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 am

Hawthorne wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:I had a guy pick out my exact location at a spot once from a HAND DRAWN topo map of a ridge I was hunting on one of my videos. That was pretty impressive. He was spot on lol. Luckily he was another beast hunter and we've connected and started bouncing ideas off one another for various areas.

I’ve googled searched a bunch of WMAs. One of my areas is very popular especially on the state forum. Many threads started about it.Other areas I’ve searched there’s very little if any info. I’ve been doing it since I started public 4 years ago. So you make an excellent point

I do this a lot. Love areas that don’t show up. Heck a marsh by my house has a couple threads here and tons more on other forums. Go a county or two over and look up the marsh we went to for dans workshop, and you can’t find squat on it.

And guess which one was covered in human sign, even in the nastiest areas I could find?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:44 am

And to think I was worried about posting my avatar pic...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:57 am

hambone wrote:And to think I was worried about posting my avatar pic...

I’ve been able to gps track photos on here. Not all of them, but enough. I typically send the owner a pm letting him know.

No way in my right mind would I act on that, but it just shows no matter how careful you think you are, nothing is more effective than swallowing your tongue and closing the computer. Always risking it putting anything on the internet. Once it’s there, its not coming back.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:41 am

Jonny wrote:

I’ve been able to gps track photos on here. Not all of them, but enough. I typically send the owner a pm letting him know.

No way in my right mind would I act on that, but it just shows no matter how careful you think you are, nothing is more effective than swallowing your tongue and closing the computer. Always risking it putting anything on the internet. Once it’s there, its not coming back.

Boy you ain't lyin Johnny! Thats another reason I won't post pics of my kills on here. Some year down the road that may change if I'm in the 500 Club, but for now...I've lived here all of my life. Being well known around my local area, has outfitters and neighbors lining up along the fencelines, here at home (57 acres). I am not willingly to move away from here, so I have to deal with it. My experiences with sneaky people are enough to keep me slipping around incognito, ever where I scout and hunt. I use a jogger/dog walker vehicle with out of state tags, for my public jaunts. I think it is in human nature to take the easy way out. Which makes me seem more "unnatural" all the time. Taking these types of "shortcuts" in my pursuit of deer, would never have entered my mind, if I hadn't witnessed it first hand. I have always appreciated the things I've earned more than the things, I've been given.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:14 am

Jonny wrote:

How are you gps tracking a photo?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:46 am

DK I sent you a PM on how it works. I don't think it would be wise to share how to get the GPS info over a public forum...
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:DK I sent you a PM on how it works. I don't think it would be wise to share how to get the GPS info over a public forum...

Security through obscurity is a bad practice. The information you're discussing is posted on many different sites. It's best to understand it, and prevent security breaches, by reading short articles like this.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:01 am

There I just blew up everyone's spot. Where should I hunt here btw?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:03 am

For an iPhone; Settings, Privacy, Location Services. Make sure you have your camera turned off.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:23 am

thwack16 wrote:For an iPhone; Settings, Privacy, Location Services. Make sure you have your camera turned off.

Also on your pic hosting apps.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:25 am

elk yinzer wrote:Image

Dang, now I better hook up with PK since Florida wasn't posted. :D
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:37 am

elk yinzer wrote:Image

Better bring your waders. ;)
47.31345, -86.89444
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:46 am

43.0591028, -87.9319344

This is a tough place to hunt too....not for sissies.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”