Hunting Paradise

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Hunting Paradise

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 am

Have you ever had the fortune of a hunting paradise- public or private, guided or DIY? No locations needed, just looking to see if others have experienced it.

I have encountered two different hunting paradises, one I just lucked into and the other I was there on purpose. Let's start with my home, a true paradise for turkey hunting. In the winter we have flocks of 300 plus in the area and more than one... I also have a picture of over 100 birds in my backyard with many trophy toms. Even now, in the middle and latter part of our turkey season, if I walk out into my driveway and drop an empty pop can onto the concrete, a Tom will thunder immediately... any time of day. Most of my neighbors have given up turkey hunting as they see no challenge in it- remember, this is informative and not meant to be upsetting. a lot of turkey hunters do not realize places like this exist.

I also encountered a bear hunting paradise in Ontario where I did do it yourself hunting with no guide. One bait, with no others necessary and placed without too much difficulty will be overrun with black bears immediately. The biggest bears in the area will start hitting it within 3 weeks, that's about how long it took some of them to find it. On the hunt, 7-10 black bears a day was routine... every day no matter what. In fact, I often had 5-10 bears watch me climb down from my treestand... they didn't run, they just waited for me to exit so they could get back on the bait. There were decent boars in the area, I've seen them up to 500 lbs plus but not the 700 lbers we see in some areas... but a true bear hunting utopia. I plan on returning to this area in the future, don't bother asking where. :lol:

I have never encountered a whitetail mature buck utopia, but there are some lucky guys out there. I have a friend in a big whitetail state that has 150 inch bucks walk up to his back yard and watch him while he is grilling. The buck stands there and eats some browse before wandering off. My friend has a major funnel on the back of his property and he waits until late October / Early November and he hunts about a week sometimes before putting a bruiser down. I'm not jealous, I tip my hat and chuckle. It is good for the soul to know places like that exist.

How about it- have you encountered any type of hunting paradise or close to it?

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Hunting Paradise

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 am

I've found about a 100 acre spot on public land that ALWAYS has a few doe groups on their feet throughout the day. It is waist to chest high greenbrier and requires a 3 mile boat ride to get to it. I'm not sure I'm willing to actually shoot anything short of a P&Y in there, because I don't know how I'd ever get an animal out of it. I can barely make it in there without losing a quart of blood from all the thorns as it is. I am sure come peak rut, a good buck or two would be in there chasing.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 am

I live in a suburban rabbit paradises. Watched 4 of them chasing each other in my neighbor's just yard this morning :dance:
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 15, 2017 7:52 am

One thing I have learned about hunting paradises is they don't usually last very long. I have found a good number of these over the years with amazing quality of bucks but two factors usually end this.......hunting pressure and logging in the far north. I had so many paradises in the big woods that lasted for many years and then come back the next year to a huge clear cut. Pretty disheartening but it's part of the game. It wipes out years of learning on the land but all you can do is keep searching for the next one.

Currently my whitetail paradise is called Iowa. :lol:

Worst part is I have to wait another 2-3 years to hunt there again. :doh:

My home marsh is my paradise. I can usually get on a few really good bucks but it's far from the paradise it was years ago.

If we want to talk fishing a fly in outpost camp I went on in far NW Ontario along the Manitoba border was true paradise. Can't imagine ever topping that experience anywhere. Fishing and the surrounding scenery/wildlife was absolutely incredible. Truly heaven on earth.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 am

One mans paradise is another mans average spot. I've had some really good whitetail spots on private in southern mi. They're not has good has what some of the guys on here have in Iowa, Wisconsin, and a few other states
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 am

Nope...I've never had a paradise. I seem to have to scrape & claw for every animal I harvest. But I'm good with that!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am

None for me either. The ones that were somewhat decent would dry up from hunting pressure.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm

I agree with them existing. I also agree that they typically don't last long. It doesn't take much to mess things up.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Montana!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon May 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Let's start with my home, a true paradise for turkey hunting. In the winter we have flocks of 300 plus in the area and more than one... I also have a picture of over 100 birds in my backyard with many trophy toms. Even now, in the middle and latter part of our turkey season, if I walk out into my driveway and drop an empty pop can onto the concrete, a Tom will thunder immediately... any time of day. Most of my neighbors have given up turkey hunting as they see no challenge in it- remember, this is informative and not meant to be upsetting. a lot of turkey hunters do not realize places like this exist.

Unfortunately it appears as though a poacher has stumbled onto your turkey paradise area SB.......pretty sad to see.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Ack wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Let's start with my home, a true paradise for turkey hunting. In the winter we have flocks of 300 plus in the area and more than one... I also have a picture of over 100 birds in my backyard with many trophy toms. Even now, in the middle and latter part of our turkey season, if I walk out into my driveway and drop an empty pop can onto the concrete, a Tom will thunder immediately... any time of day. Most of my neighbors have given up turkey hunting as they see no challenge in it- remember, this is informative and not meant to be upsetting. a lot of turkey hunters do not realize places like this exist.

Unfortunately it appears as though a poacher has stumbled onto your turkey paradise area SB.......pretty sad to see.

Yes- the NWTF is offering a reward for information leading to an conviction.
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 am

I've never found anything like that, I am open to the experience though. Seems like most of the deer I've killed have come to me really hard, not a complaint just facts!
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 am

yungbuck wrote:I live in a suburban rabbit paradises. Watched 4 of them chasing each other in my neighbor's just yard this morning :dance:

Just when you thought you were alone and a guy sees the same thing! :roll: thought I was the special one! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 am

Wait a minute! How did I forget about my squirrel Mecca? My property is mostly mature red and white oaks. It doesn't matter how many I hunt, they replace the numbers from surrounding properties within a day.

Would I trade in the bear / turkey / squirrel havens for a big buck haunt like my buddies?

You'd better believe it!

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

Havent ran across one yet, but each fall I get to be the all-american boy sitting in a tree w/my bow in some fairly decent habitat...not too shabby. Still putting the pieces together, so, I have no real complaints but me. :lol:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”