Hunting Paradise

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
JakeB
500 Club

Re: Hunting Paradise

Unread postby JakeB » Tue May 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Hmm, well I can't say I have a deer hunting paradise, but I really can't complain because I have access to some pretty descent hog hunting.

We also have some pretty good froggin

Salt water fishing and squirrel huntings pretty good too!

Not very good deer hunting though, but there's always some sort of season that'll get me in the outdoors no matter what the time of year is. I guess I kinda like it this way.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Great pics, man! Those frogs are unreal. 8-)

JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue May 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Nice pig SB! He's sure got some nice cutters on him! He's gotta be 300+??
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm

I've found several over the years, some public in PA and some private in Ohio, they come and go, in Ohio I usually loose them by way of the Amish, once they get in a square your hunting they will kill everything they see, true conservationists they are :lol: the PA public spots last until another die hard who is ambitious as me to go through water and muck to avoid the crowds finds my honey hole. Still holding on to a few though.

I probably wouldn't have it any other way, I love searching out and finding these types of areas, if I had the same hunting paradis the last 31 years I would probably not have developed as much as I have as a hunter.
Persistence pays!!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Yep. Sure have. But as has been mentioned...they do not last forever. So you hunt them and hunt them hard while you can. EHD really is wreaking havoc in many areas of the midwest. So what is good one year, can be terrible the next. I love the challenge of finding the next spot. Love looking at new ground, hunting new stuff.

My buddy really is hunting a paradise. Mind blowing really. I keep pushing him to hold out for an absolute giant.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 am

JakeB wrote:Nice pig SB! He's sure got some nice cutters on him! He's gotta be 300+??

He was a Beast! My favorite part of the pic is I have one arrow left- man, they are tough!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

And you guys are right...one mans paradise is another mans "ehh".

Take Maine for example. We do not have piles of turkeys like some of the midwest states I have been too. BUT you can hunt ANYWHERE thats not posted. So if you like to run and gun turkeys, Maine you can hunt all day and the season is May 5 to June 8. So you can jump in your rig and start cruising -- see a bird, get around on it. Do it again. And again. And there is virtually no hunting pressure.

I just don't happen to care for turkey hunting all that much.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed May 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
JakeB wrote:Nice pig SB! He's sure got some nice cutters on him! He's gotta be 300+??

He was a Beast! My favorite part of the pic is I have one arrow left- man, they are tough!

:lol: I noticed that!

Daddy always said "Don't stop shootin 'till they quit movin"
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 17, 2017 3:16 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:And you guys are right...one mans paradise is another mans "ehh".

Take Maine for example. We do not have piles of turkeys like some of the midwest states I have been too. BUT you can hunt ANYWHERE thats not posted. So if you like to run and gun turkeys, Maine you can hunt all day and the season is May 5 to June 8. So you can jump in your rig and start cruising -- see a bird, get around on it. Do it again. And again. And there is virtually no hunting pressure.

Not a bad setup at all for run and gun. The no hunting pressure has to be a huge bonus. Based on your information the chance of success would appear to be good.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:And you guys are right...one mans paradise is another mans "ehh".

Not a bad setup at all for run and gun. The no hunting pressure has to be a huge bonus. Based on your information the chance of success would appear to be good.

And I am "ehh" I don't love hunting turkeys. But I do enjoy spending time with my son and teaching him. He is right in love with it.

And yes. Anyone here that is serious about turkey and likes to run and gun will kill 2 birds every spring. If you want to run and bow...your odds go down a bit.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 am

No hunting but I have a great area to fish that has been fantastic for the 15 years we have been going there. On a well known river but between 2 very popular areas so we never get any crowds. Best part is its only a 2 hour drive from milwaukee, and we have a camper about 100 feet from the water.

Have never been skunked out here for walleyes. Always catch them, and for the last 5 years, almost always get fish to keep if I want them. I know lots of people who drive 12 hours to canada, or fight the zoos at other areas to not get the action and numbers we get. Heck some of them quit going to canada and just come by us now. Way cheaper and the fishing is just as good
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 am

For public ground I was always thinking a draw hunt would be paradise. And now that I have been to 3 or 4 areas it's not true.
Time of year, strange regulations, layout of area and more can be rain on big dreams.

When they get it right.... WOW, HEAVEN.
Those willing to look hard enough and long enough usually find one. Ummm I think!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 18, 2017 4:26 am

Jonny wrote:No hunting but I have a great area to fish that has been fantastic for the 15 years we have been going there. On a well known river but between 2 very popular areas so we never get any crowds. Best part is its only a 2 hour drive from milwaukee, and we have a camper about 100 feet from the water.

Have never been skunked out here for walleyes. Always catch them, and for the last 5 years, almost always get fish to keep if I want them. I know lots of people who drive 12 hours to canada, or fight the zoos at other areas to not get the action and numbers we get. Heck some of them quit going to canada and just come by us now. Way cheaper and the fishing is just as good

Fishing is great in Canada but really it has nothing to do with numbers of fish caught, it's all about the spectacle that surrounds you. The experience is worth way more than any fish.

Hunting is the same for me. Paradise has a different meaning for everyone. Some guys consider it a paradise when they are literally covered in deer and fill multiple tags. Not me. Put me in a scenario where with hard work I have a decent chance to go one on one with a mature buck in a big woods environment with zero outside hunting pressure and that would be my paradise.

Like an old wise man once said.........."We spend our whole life fishing to find it's not really fish we are looking for" ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 am

justdirtyfun wrote:For public ground I was always thinking a draw hunt would be paradise. And now that I have been to 3 or 4 areas it's not true.
Time of year, strange regulations, layout of area and more can be rain on big dreams.

When they get it right.... WOW, HEAVEN.
Those willing to look hard enough and long enough usually find one. Ummm I think!

Some draw hunts can be incredible. For a number of years my local marsh had a week long draw hunt in an area that is normally closed. The quality of bucks was off the charts and I created so many big buck memories during those years. This was no doubt a true paradise. About 15 years ago they closed the area down to handicap hunting with a permit only. In that case I was fine with giving the area up to those less fortunate. Hope they killed some big ones but honestly I think it rarely gets utilized. It's a shame to see that much land go largely unhunted for the most part because I know for a fact it still holds some of the best bucks in area.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 am

Nice Dewey
Close to home and good deer. That's the ticket.
So they changed the draw in a MARSH to handicapped. Is that a sick joke? Wow.

Glad you had time and memories there.

Another draw location I was at....
On a dark to dark hunt within a state park I saw around 20 deer. This was isolated farmland with a little swampy patch or two. Lots of targets, came home with a 140 lb doe. Can't wait to get back.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”