Summer scouting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Summer scouting

Unread postby JAK » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:50 pm

What do some of you guys do for summer scouting? Is it a bad idea to dive in and try to keep finding beds? Or is this the time of year to kind of lay back and glass and shine things like that.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Summer scouting

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

I know this sounds dumb / cliche -- but ..."the less I know, the more I go"
If I don't have the intel I need to make me feel confident, I am going to get it.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a stand with low confidence because of a lack of good intel.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:I know this sounds dumb / cliche -- but ..."the less I know, the more I go"
If I don't have the intel I need to make me feel confident, I am going to get it.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a stand with low confidence because of a lack of good intel.

Agree.

It's a situational thing for me. If the leg work is done and I'm happy with the number and wuality of sets, I'm going to try and find shooters to chase near known bedding. If I need more stand and ground blind options, I'll keep scouting and prepping as needed.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Summer scouting is the bane of existence in Florida, but I did a couple of runs last summer and they were well worth it. Didn't work out because I didn't pull the quota, but I still got the data in my pocket when I do finally pull the quota. I plan on doing a couple this summer as well, but it is tough do to water levels, mosquitoes, heat, thick vegetation. The cool thing is you are almost guaranteed to me alone in the woods. Because of that the animals seem to be a whole lot less on edge and you can get away with blowing through a lot of areas without hurting your hunts in season. Were I can I run some cameras all summer and get a lot of intel and since I started following the beast I am really starting to put some puzzle pieces together during the summer.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:49 pm

I agree with Maine & Lockdown...if you need intel get it!

With that being said, I worked real hard Feb thru now to get the intel I needed on most all of my spots. So I can stay out of them as much as possible until season. I may scout some new areas in the summer for the 2018 season. Just to get a leg-up on next year. And if it looks really great I may give it a sit. Mostly I will be shining & glassing. Maybe throw a few cameras out on some food sources?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 pm

I used to scout late summer till Labor Day but ruined a good bunch of summer patterns in the process. These days other than running cams I keep it low impact from now till the season with glassing and long distance observation. Too much shining can hurt too so I am very careful about that. If it's an area you don't plan on hunting early there is probably not much harm but I prefer to know what the deer are doing right now not what they did 3 months ago. Low impact in season scouting and immediately setting up on hot sign is a deadly tactic. Don't overlook that.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 pm

The bed I killed over this fall I summer scouted. I never returned until the day I shot him. I think you can dive deep in the summer but gather all info you need and don't return until the hunt setup
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:05 am

Because I learned the hard way last summer, I tried to be in all areas by now this season...only cameras and observation in summertime. Will try a couple permissions to landlocked places as added bonuses come fall. Spend the summer doing family things (all outdoors) :lol: :lol:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”