Hunting beds not knowing if there being used

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Hunting beds not knowing if there being used

Unread postby JAK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm

I've found a couple buck beds that are near food. But have no way to shine or glass the food source because to far from road.. Are these beds you would just kind of take a chance on or something you would have to unseasonably scout and sit?

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Hunting beds not knowing if there being used

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm

First I would try to do an observation sit if you can if not place a trail camera in the vicinity to see what's around.

Based off what I found out from a visual​ or trail cam pictures I would try to determine under what conditions a buck would be bedding there. Based off of that I would make a decision to hunt that bed or not.
Joe™
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

As already mentioned, if you can run trail cams they can be invaluable.

Observation sits don't lie... If observing is an option.

Are there rub lines leaving bedding? If you can uninvasively keep an eye on them, hit the bedding as soon as the rub line(s) open up.

Look for big fresh tracks.

As Dan says, hunt the hot sign when it's hot! If all else fails throw a stand at it early, then again mid season, then late. Most bedding areas take time to figure out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:13 am

None of us ever know for sure if there is a buck in the bedroom when we set up. We look at the sign, and take our best guess... Sometimes we use observations, or glassing, or cameras, but most of the remote spots we just throw a stand or two at and find out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:04 am

If it's a very specific bed I look for fresh tracks going in but not coming out. When I say fresh that means from that morning if you are doing an evening hunt. This tells me there is a very good chance the buck is home especially if there is a barrier or some other kind of obstacle that prevents him from going out the opposite direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”