194 Scott Shawl: Big Buck Registry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

194 Scott Shawl: Big Buck Registry

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:22 am

Here is the link to my podcast. If you have time to listen to it I welcome any and all feedback and thank you ahead of time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIqydDEJ ... e=youtu.be

stash59

Re: 194 Scott Shawl: Big Buck Registry

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:56 am

Just got done listening. "Wow"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna be going back to this one alot. Really enjoyed the history lesson on your family also. Going to hit up Google Earth and look up Shawl Island.

Couple questions. How close or maybe better yet. How far do you stay away from the beds when your spot checking them for fresh sign. In general. It probably changes with each situation.

When navigating the swamps. Have you taken a bunch of bearings and written them down? Marked your maps? What are some of the ways you "mark" your accesses in and out. Maybe an example of your zigzagging technique to fool other hunters.

Maybe an aerial and or topo example of these subtle points the bucks bed in around water.

Great job!!

Thanx

Chuck.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:11 am

Great Job!!!!! Thanks for sharing !! :clap: I'm really becoming a big fan of these podcasts!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:28 am

Holy smokes I'm halfway through the podcast and can tell I am going to have to listen to this one a couple times!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:33 am

I will listen on the way to work. I have long drives right now so this will help shorten the time. Thanks Scott.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:45 am

Nice...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:29 am

stash59 wrote:Just got done listening. "Wow"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna be going back to this one alot. Really enjoyed the history lesson on your family also. Going to hit up Google Earth and look up Shawl Island.

Couple questions. How close or maybe better yet. How far do you stay away from the beds when your spot checking them for fresh sign. In general. It probably changes with each situation.

When navigating the swamps. Have you taken a bunch of bearings and written them down? Marked your maps? What are some of the ways you "mark" your accesses in and out. Maybe an example of your zigzagging technique to fool other hunters.

Maybe an aerial and or topo example of these subtle points the bucks bed in around water.

Great job!!

Thanx

Chuck.

Thank you Chuck, I will get to your questions soon... traveling right now. FYI my family has long since sold the islands. Shawl island is now called James island and it is right off the north shore of Drummond island in potoganissing bay. The Drummond island museum has the original maps with Shawl Island.

In 2012 Northern Michigan University in Marquette completed a research documentary on Drummond and my family is part of it. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I want a copy.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:

Great job!!

Thanx

Chuck.

Thank you Chuck, I will get to your questions soon... traveling right now. FYI my family has long since sold the islands. Shawl island is now called James island and it is right off the north shore of Drummond island in potoganissing bay. The Drummond island museum has the original maps with Shawl Island.

In 2012 Northern Michigan University in Marquette completed a research documentary on Drummond and my family is part of it. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I want a copy.

What's the name of the documentary? My dad has been hemming and hawing about some property over there awhile. I was under the impression you hunted Alger county. Do you hit the east end?
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Great job Scott, I really enjoyed that podcast, found myself backing up and listening to a few things you said a couple times. I'll listen to that one again. Thank you
Aim small miss small
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 am

magicman54494 wrote:I will listen on the way to work. I have long drives right now so this will help shorten the time. Thanks Scott.

Thanks Todd, definitely looking forward to your take on it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 am

dan wrote:Nice...

Thanks Dan, you never how it will turn out until you hear it!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 am

Just finished listening to the podcast. And like others have said I'll be listening to it again and taking more notes. Very well done! Lots of informative and interesting info.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 am

Will be listening tomorrow. Man, that old picture is awesome. A true treasure.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:31 am

Singing Bridge wrote:

Great job!!

Thanx

Chuck.

After perusing 4 or 5 different map sites I figured something like that had happened! :lol:

No hurry on the ?'s.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Will be listening tomorrow. Man, that old picture is awesome. A true treasure.

Agreed. That is one great picture. Lots to be proud of Scott glad you are sharing family history with us..

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”