When to scout?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wareagle0775

When to scout?

Unread postby wareagle0775 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:01 am

Our season just ended yesterday and spring turkey season is from middle of march till end of April. Next season will be my first year hunting on public land. I will still do most of hunting on private but want to do some on public as well. When do I start scouting? I've already been looking at google earth at areas. Looking forward to putting boots on the ground and put up a camera. Should I start now? Later spring? Summer, late summer?

tbunao
500 Club

Re: When to scout?

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 am

Now! It's never too early nor is it ever too late! Unless there is 3 ft of snow or water then you wait :lol:
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 am

Absolutely now! It's gonna be 85+ 100% humidity in a months time. I'm not sure if you are hunting Eglin AFB but if you are I would check the regulations in regards to scouting during the off season.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 am

The sooner the better!

It's amazing how fast the off-season goes by. I had a list of places I wanted to scout before my season ended. You always seem to end up running out of time no matter how soon you start. I would put camera's up wherever you want intel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wareagle0775

Unread postby wareagle0775 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:42 am

AAAK wrote:Absolutely now! It's gonna be 85+ 100% humidity in a months time. I'm not sure if you are hunting Eglin AFB but if you are I would check the regulations in regards to scouting during the off season.

Blackwater management area. Where you at?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 am

Scouting never ends even during the hunting season. Only thing that changes different times of the year is my technique. Cyber scouting, boots on the ground, glassing, shining, running cameras and plenty of research on different hunting areas.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 am

Dewey wrote:Scouting never ends even during the hunting season. Only thing that changes different times of the year is my technique. Cyber scouting, boots on the ground, glassing, shining, running cameras and plenty of research on different hunting areas.

Pretty close to what I was going to say... The question should be when "shouldn't" I scout... The more the scouting, the more the success. Iv'e never met a guy that I thought scouted too much.
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:17 am

wareagle0775 wrote:
AAAK wrote:Absolutely now! It's gonna be 85+ 100% humidity in a months time. I'm not sure if you are hunting Eglin AFB but if you are I would check the regulations in regards to scouting during the off season.

PC. Tyndall is my main area that I hunt
wareagle0775

Unread postby wareagle0775 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am

AAAK wrote:
wareagle0775 wrote:

PC. Tyndall is my main area that I hunt

Ah ok, I'm about 1.5 hours from pc. I use to work over in that area a lot.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Any time you have time

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”