what does "Big Woods" mean to you?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: what does "Big Woods" mean to you?

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 am

cedarsavage wrote:
stash59 wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:
stash59 wrote:At least 5 sq. mi. without roads.

I don't know about northern Wisconsin and Minnesota but that eliminates almost everything in the up of Michigan except a couple wilderness areas. There's some virgin timber here, but almost everywhere has been cut at some time and all that wood has to get transported out somehow. I've spent a lot of time looking for roadless areas and don't find too many that I can get much more than a mile from a gravel road, county road or old logging road. If I can walk a legit two miles in a straight line without hitting something I can drive my pickup on that's extremely rare

Yeah not too many places like that here in the Midwest. Those that are or are close at least have snowmobile trails through them. Along with a few spur roads that dead end. Granted some old roads are almost invisible. Or really hard to drive on. Getting 2-2.5 miles from a road pretty much insures not being able to here any vehicles. Giving me that feeling of being the only one on the planet that I enjoy!!!!! :lol:

Even out west in the wilderness areas there's tons of pack trails. During firearms seasons alot of the wildernesses have more hunting pressure than smaller un-outfitted areas or areas horse hunters neglect. I've also been 5 miles back sitting on top of a mountain. Watching traffic on a highway.

I rarely see other hunters, buts it's amazing how difficult it is too really get away. It's amazing how many times I've found a really remote "untouched" spot and look down to see a rusty pabst can.

Maybe that should tell you something! If it's actually "rusty". How long ago was that? :o ;) :lol:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 am

If it's black bear and or wolf country, it's worthy of the name "bigwoods" in my eyes.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:30 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
stash59 wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:
stash59 wrote:At least 5 sq. mi. without roads.

I don't know about northern Wisconsin and Minnesota but that eliminates almost everything in the up of Michigan except a couple wilderness areas. There's some virgin timber here, but almost everywhere has been cut at some time and all that wood has to get transported out somehow. I've spent a lot of time looking for roadless areas and don't find too many that I can get much more than a mile from a gravel road, county road or old logging road. If I can walk a legit two miles in a straight line without hitting something I can drive my pickup on that's extremely rare

Yeah not too many places like that here in the Midwest. Those that are or are close at least have snowmobile trails through them. Along with a few spur roads that dead end. Granted some old roads are almost invisible. Or really hard to drive on. Getting 2-2.5 miles from a road pretty much insures not being able to here any vehicles. Giving me that feeling of being the only one on the planet that I enjoy!!!!! :lol:

Even out west in the wilderness areas there's tons of pack trails. During firearms seasons alot of the wildernesses have more hunting pressure than smaller un-outfitted areas or areas horse hunters neglect. I've also been 5 miles back sitting on top of a mountain. Watching traffic on a highway.

I rarely see other hunters, buts it's amazing how difficult it is too really get away. It's amazing how many times I've found a really remote "untouched" spot and look down to see a rusty pabst can.

My thoughts exactly. Never fails nomater if I'm in a remote spot in the forest, BWCA, or out west
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:28 pm

To me in the northeast anything larger than 1000 acres is "Big Woods".
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”