Hiding your prepped stand trees

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampyak
500 Club

Hiding your prepped stand trees

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Anyone have any good ideas on how to make limby conifer trees that are prepared for stands not stand out to other hunters. Like wiping mud on cut limbs, putting Christmas tree limbs in the stand hole when not in use etc

stash59

Re: Hiding your prepped stand trees

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 pm

I've used the mud thing in the past.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Don't make it obvious you have been back there. A worn down trail, trail markers, cutting saplings 3' up are really obvious to everybody.

If you can keep people from wanting to get back to look where you were, that's the majority of the problem solved right there. Finding a cleared tree without knowing where it is, is hard. If you leave sign you were back there, it's much easier.

Never tried the mud and never had a problem with people hunting a prepped tree. Uncles setting up 20 yards from a prepped tree? I have that problem though.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 am

I try not to set up around other hunters... That may sound lame, but really, if other guys are seeing your set ups, big mature bucks are probably avoiding that spot in daylight.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:40 am

dan wrote:I try not to set up around other hunters... That may sound lame, but really, if other guys are seeing your set ups, big mature bucks are probably avoiding that spot in daylight.

Totally agree. I make do with whatever tree I find and leave as little sign as possible that I was there. While scouting I pick out trees that give me good cover without altering anything or cutting branches because it's illegal here. It makes it tough to get clear shots sometimes but necessary here on public. I am amazed by how much some guys ruin good cover in trees by totally trimming the heck out of them. These spots are usually over hunted and the older bucks figure it out very quickly.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:05 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by tgreeno on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:I try not to set up around other hunters... That may sound lame, but really, if other guys are seeing your set ups, big mature bucks are probably avoiding that spot in daylight.

Totally agree. I make do with whatever tree I find and leave as little sign as possible that I was there. I am amazed by how much some guys ruin good cover in trees by totally trimming the heck out of them. These spots are usually over hunted and the older bucks figure it out very quickly.

I agree! Avoiding areas where other hunters are. I want guys to say, "there's no way in he!! I'm going in/out there". I find a few tree's while scouting that are just hacked it looks like with a chainsaw sometimes.

I want to be no where near a guy who does that! He obviously has no clue!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:33 pm

On spot I was thinking about is near a road and parking area. I never see anyone hunting it but it is a lose point with does on the end and bucks alittle farther in off of suttle points. Very limited tree options and I'm worried that if someone notices an altered tree it may make them curious
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Pick a tree that's on the other side of an obstacle from the Main access point on a the property....water being the main deterrent. Get creative on how you access and be prepared to work harder than the next guy. Do this stuff and you'll have less issues with other hunters
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 am

swampyak wrote:On spot I was thinking about is near a road and parking area. I never see anyone hunting it but it is a lose point with does on the end and bucks alittle farther in off of suttle points. Very limited tree options and I'm worried that if someone notices an altered tree it may make them curious

I have a spot similar to this, that I'm going to hunt from the ground. Maybe another option?
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 am

I'm just starting on the public but on the private I hunt I do a couple things.

First I stopped putting up stands and now only take my lone wolf in and out.
Second I have steps in trees but take out the bottom 4. People will walk rt by without noticing them higher
Third I stopped using any kind of light up reflector thing. I slow down and don't need them
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 pm

I have only prepped 1 stand and not long after I did, another hunter built a blind right in the buck bed that was only 40 yards from the tree. :clap: I had creek access and wind in my favor but it didn't matter once daylight came and I saw the blind. No more prepping trees for me
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:34 pm

I try to get as far away from other hunters as I can. I also use the mud trick just make the cut limbs blend in a little better. I try to do as little cutting as I can so it doesn't look stand out but I also carry in a pocket saw and small clippers incase I need to trim once I get in the stand.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:19 am

What constitutes prepping a tree? 95% of the trees I have ever been in required little prep work. Maybe a few thumb thick branches needed to go, but not much more than that. Guy I used to hunt with would pick the bushiest tree he could find and jam a ladder stand on it. Then only trim enough so someone could sit - never trimmed the limbs that extended out thru the ladder.

Shooting lanes typically take a bit more effort - but can be done without alerting the world. You also have to drag off the cut/trimmed limbs.

So, how much does everyone cut? Or what would see extreme?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 am

I don't take many measures to hide my setups anymore. If anything, I usually lean a stick or two against my trees so I know if someone is hunting "my" tree. I don't care but like to know if a person has been in the area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”