Climbing large diameter trees

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampyak
500 Club

Climbing large diameter trees

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:01 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get up into large diameter thick bark trees like cottonwood. The bark is to thick for steps and the diameters 3-5' across make steps with straps challenging

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Climbing large diameter trees

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 am

If using climbing sticks, replace straps with rope. You can customize the rope to be as long as you want
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 am

I stay away from tree's this large. IMO, It just makes set-up too difficult.

I have ropes on my sticks and it still is very difficult to impossible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:49 am

Most of the areas I hunt are bottom land with only willows and cottonwoods. I have 10' ropes on my sticks, and I have just put them as my limit. I will only drill bolt holes in younger, thinner bark cottonwoods for fear of a tear out. Any guys have experience with Climbing Spurs on cottonwoods?
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 am

5' is tough. 3' feet can be done. Go with ropes and tie a knot in the end to aid in throwing the rope around the trunk. But if it's possible find a smaller diameter tree close by.

If screw ins are legal make up your own. Cut 4" angle iron into 1" wide pieces. Drill a 13/32" hole near the top of one leg. Then use a 3/8"x7" lag bolt to screw into the tree with a wrench. If you are pre-setting in the spring take a cordless drill with and drill a pilot hole. Of course you may need to go longer with the bolt if the bark is really thick. Put some sticky backed sandpaper on the leg that is the step.

This is an old Bob Fratzke trick.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 am

stash59 wrote:5' is tough. 3' feet can be done. Go with ropes and tie a knot in the end to aid in throwing the rope around the trunk. But if it's possible find a smaller diameter tree close by.

If screw ins are legal make up your own. Cut 4" angle iron into 1" wide pieces. Drill a 13/32" hole near the top of one leg. Then use a 3/8"x7" lag bolt to screw into the tree with a wrench. If you are pre-setting in the spring take a cordless drill with and drill a pilot hole. Of course you may need to go longer with the bolt if the bark is really thick. Put some sticky backed sandpaper on the leg that is the step.

This is an old Bob Fratzke trick.

I wonder if you can just back the lags out a bit each year to keep them from growing into the tree
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks for the ideas. I wondered about telescoping ladders but thought that they might be to loud. Also wondered if anyone had tried any arberist climbing gear
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:19 am

Telescoping ladders are neat but heavy - I looked at a 16 ft and it was in the 30# bracket.

I had a 2-man ladder on a large oak, had to extend the straps. I couldn't see doing that and trying to be quiet, it was an adventure in itself.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 am

swampyak wrote:Thanks for the ideas. I wondered about telescoping ladders but thought that they might be to loud. Also wondered if anyone had tried any arberist climbing gear

I have heard climbing spikes are a royal PITA if that's what you are thinking of. At least for a hunting standpoint
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 pm

I climb large diameter trees every year.
I grab a 3-4' stick on my way out to the stand. Something with a Y in the end is best. I use the stick as a hand extender and lob the buckle above it, then gently pull the strap around.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 pm

I have used a rock climbing harness with climbing rope in the past as well. It is definitely light weight and quiet.
Make sure you pre set your small diameter pull rope.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:25 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:I climb large diameter trees every year.
I grab a 3-4' stick on my way out to the stand. Something with a Y in the end is best. I use the stick as a hand extender and lob the buckle above it, then gently pull the strap around.

Thanks for this tip it will come in handy even for mid sized trees and it is something that I can find on the forest floor when it's needed
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Jonny wrote:
swampyak wrote:Thanks for the ideas. I wondered about telescoping ladders but thought that they might be to loud. Also wondered if anyone had tried any arberist climbing gear

I have heard climbing spikes are a royal PITA if that's what you are thinking of. At least for a hunting standpoint

I've hear the opposite. Most of the guys over on saddlehunter swear by them. They spike up, and rappel down.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:24 pm

IkemanTx wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I've hear the opposite. Most of the guys over on saddlehunter swear by them. They spike up, and rappel down.

:doh: I never thought about using them with a saddle. I know for treestand hunting they are a pain but a saddle should be much better for it.

Just check if they are legal though. Lots of areas they aren't.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I had a pair and hated them. Not legal here on public so very limited use for me anyway.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”