Scouting new LARGE public area from scratch

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HAPPY DAD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1473896228

Scouting new LARGE public area from scratch

Unread postby HAPPY DAD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 am

So if you were gonna start to scout a new public area 10-15 hours away from home how do you start?

I was thinking print and overall map and then divide it in sections. Then start looking at topos at the smaller sections. Look for points, pinches, shelfs, and saddles.

Then in spring or summer head over and put boots on the ground to look at the areas I found on map.

Anything else you guys would recommend?

Ahepler2188

Re: Scouting new LARGE public area from scratch

Unread postby Ahepler2188 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 am

I'm curious about this as well...I've done some research on traveling. Pocket ranger apps have some great information on where to start
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Depends on the terrain... There are certain areas you scout in each terrain, and certain areas that really don't matter in my eyes... During our scouting workshop coming up we are going to scout a couple square miles of public land. Obviously we are going to not look at the majority. We are going to concentrate on what is important.

Transitions and elevations... Your either seeking out the lowest stuff, or the leeward top 1/3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 am

dan wrote:
Transitions and elevations... Your either seeking out the lowest stuff, or the leeward top 1/3

This is why Dan is the Man! This simplifies where you need to look. Make scouting so much easier, because you can avoid a bunch of unproductive area!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 am

When you print off maps, make sure to mark all the roads, parking lots, logging trails and anything that will show where hunters go. Make note of roads where people can't park along the side due to law or no room. Make a guess on how far in you think people go. I base my decisions off how my family hunts. They will walk a logging trail back to the end of it, but won't venture far off it. I usually cross off about a quarter mile on each side of a logging trail and a half mile from a parking lot. If there is a creek or river you can't cross with knee boots, anything past that will be good. If there are roads you can't park along, don't be afraid to look there right in sight of the road. Its almost creepy how much deer sign pops up when the human sign drops.

One spot I scouted this fall but never hunted had a big ridge full of stands and footprints from people. ZERO deer sign that was fresh. Walk down and back up to the next ridge and it looked like a herd of cattle went through. Just eliminating areas people will most likely hunt will help cut down the amount of area to hunt. There are always overlooked spots to hunt and I know for sure some guys here (Dan) can find them pretty easily. I can't. It takes me a couple years to really notice one, and I think after hunting an area for a couple years I might have found one. For starters, I think the safe bet is to go where nobody else is.

As far as what to specifically look for once you get there, the hill, marsh, and swamp dvds along with the all time tactical thread in the deer hunting section will be the best help for finding specific spots in an area. If in hill country, Stanley posted a tutorial about reading topo maps which helps a lot. I read it probably once a week and I don't hunt hill country.

Right now my desk is covered with maps all colored up of areas of public land I currently hunt and might possibly hunt later on down the road. You don't need color maps, just a good readable topo and have your computer open with aerials. One last tip is that aerials sometimes are old. Every piece of public has a name, for example I hunt the clark county forest in wisconsin. DOUBLE CHECK that the area you are looking at hasn't been logged off. Google search the name of the public you want to hunt, and add logging. So for me, I search "clark county forest logging" look around and find bid prospectus, they show a cheap layout of where the sites are relative to roads and trails. If it is close to an area you want to hunt, still look at it but be ready for disappointment. Logging a mile away can effect deer in an area. Can't count the times I drove over to an area to hunt to find a pile of logs and an endless field of tree trimmings. I can open google earth on my computer and see a big area of woods, but in reality, over half of those woods are gone in two years. Some people don't have to deal with logging, but I do, and it sucks. No matter what you do, they will get to you eventually. Minor note, anything within the 100 year flood plain cannot be logged or touched in any way shape or form. Something to note if that applies to your area.

Best of luck in your scouting. Keep us updated if you find anything. Lots of great minds here that are really helpful with others. Especially Dan. He gets it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am

How much time do you have to scout being that far from home is the question? If you are short on time for boots on ground then I would ask Dan for mapping service bc you could feel confident going in blind and be successful. Post the master map for help, advice, and map marking. Break it up into sections like you said, specifically reach out to guys you see hunting different terrains and ask for map help for different sections of the map. Hit up a guy for the farm section, hill section, marsh, ect...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 am

Another necessary step is to plan for wind based bedding if you expect deer to act that way in your area.

If you're hills have no good points for common hunting season winds be aware of that. And then also, one point might be perfect for a certain wind, is it worth scouting? That answer will come from experience and comparing the overall map.

Does this connect or make much sense? You are hoping the boots on the ground will confirm expected theory. How is a deer safe at location X? Can I beat the protection he has as a defense?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”