Scouting on public land marshes

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sctt70

Scouting on public land marshes

Unread postby Sctt70 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 am

I have a question about navigating around public land marshes & how to do it safely. I have a 3000 acre WMA near my home & much of it is lowland swamp. I've tried going out & scouting it & get way back in there. There are several islands in the middle of the marsh that I want to check out but my problem is you never know what the water depth is at any given moment. I was out there scouting last February & fell in a beaver run that was over my head. The only thing that saved me was my elbows caught the ice & I was able to pill myself out. There have been numerous other times where I've fallen in to my waste or knees. Now I am really nervous about going out too far but I know that is where the big bucks are at. Any suggestions from anyone that has hunted these large public land marshes on how to scout & hunt them safely without risking your life over it?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting on public land marshes

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:04 am

Don't navagate in unknown or unsafe areas when there is ice. It gives a false sense of security and you won't be able to feel the bad spots. Learn wroughts back there when its not froze. And, step on plant roots to the side of the trail, not in the middle of the deer trails.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:01 am

Good pair of waders and a pfd.

When you get to the point that is uncomfortable and you think you should turn around. You are almost there.

But having said that, be safe. Expect the unexpected and have a plan. Ice breaks, bogs rip, muck holds tight. This stuff should not just be expected but planned for. Just be happy you don't have alligators and water moccasins, they make all the other 'aqua-related' dangers seem mild in comparison.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
RagMonster

Unread postby RagMonster » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 pm

There is no real trick or secret to walking through lowlands in the winter other than than the importance of being aware of where you are at and not to get complacent with ice.

A set of safety ice picks may help in the event you fall through ice. Keep them in your hands when crossing unknown ice. It's a good tool to have during any activity on ice. They are typically sold along with ice fishing gear at your local Farm and Fleet.

With beaver runs, muskrat runs, springs, creeks, and bottomless floating bogs, a wetland can be a sketchy place to walk in the winter without adequate precautions. I've busted through more times than I can count, it typically puts an end to the day.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm

I would strongly advise against the waders. If you would go down they fill up with water and bring you down faster with all that added weight. Had this happen to a class mate years ago and he lost his life because of it trying to recover a deer that had crossed a frozen creek. A pfd is a great idea.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Even if you get out do you worry about shock or hypothermia?
I fell through the ice on the edge of a river bank when it was 15 degrees outside the truck was only 15 minute walk away but I felt like I froze to death getting back to truck and that was only waste deep not fully submerged.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:20 pm

basspro05 wrote:Even if you get out do you worry about shock or hypothermia?
I fell through the ice on the edge of a river bank when it was 15 degrees outside the truck was only 15 minute walk away but I felt like I froze to death getting back to truck and that was only waste deep not fully submerged.

Like has been written about in many magazine articles and books. Most hypothermia deaths occur in wet conditions with temps in the 40's. It can occur when the temps are colder with high winds. So getting wet can make it worse. But I've fallen through the ice in differing temps. To be honest the coldest days were better for staying warm. The initial shock is scary, but as long as you keep moving you'll be alright. When it's really cold the water in your clothes freezes fast and actually becomes an insulator.

I've fallen up to my chest in below zero temps. Walked out 2 miles through deep snow drifts. I was sweating profusely by the time I got home.

So don't panic. Stay calm. Get over the initial shock and get moving. If you stop the moisture in your pants at your knee joints will freeze more and you'll lose the pivot point that doesn't freeze solid. If you keep moving.

So taking note of all this. I have a few sketchy spots in mind myself. I'm gonna wait til February has a good cold day. By then most of the ice will be thicker. I'll take a solid heavier pole/walking stick along to help feel out the ice. Sticking to the vegetation as much as possible. Open areas in marshes and swaps are often where the weakest ice is and the deepest water. And a pair of hand ice pick/grabbers on a thong around my wrist.

I'll have a propane heater in the car to warm it faster and some dry clothes to change into. Should I fall through.

Folks in Canada, Alaska, Norway, Russia and all other far northern locals deal with this all the time. Key is be prepared.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:18 am

do you guys see the deer stop using the marsh when it freezes partially ? partially meaning my dog can skip across the ice but I break thru?
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 pm

cougar wrote:do you guys see the deer stop using the marsh when it freezes partially ? partially meaning my dog can skip across the ice but I break thru?

I think they stop using it once it's frozen and they don't feel safe from predators. And if there isn't food nearby, no reason for the deer to be there. Deer go into wet areas because predators don't like going through that stuff, mostly they don't know how to. Once it's frozen, that advantage is gone.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”