Pressured land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ridgerunner8

Pressured land

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I have this state land mountains,that just went thru rifle season one of the ways it's hunted is groups of peaple that drive the whole mountain sides off ,late season comes in after christmas ,how would you try and hunt this ?
It has a road with foot traffic on the top of the mountain and some limited access at the bottom ,My thoughts are to find the non pressured areas that are missed by the drivers , how do I do that :?

Lockdown

Re: Pressured land

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:28 pm

IMO There's no way a group of guys can cover a whole mountain side. You'd have to have a tiny mountain or a tremendous amount of guys (or both) in order to cover all of it.

My way of thinking is the big mature bucks are bedded strategically where they can let the drivers walk right by. To me that means thick cover. Most guys think if they pass within 40 yards of a deer, that's enough to get them up and moving. Around here, especially in cattails and choked out dogwood thickets, they'll let you get so close you'll nearly step on them.

I would start by looking over aerials/topos and try to find areas you think might get missed by a driver. Something like a big washed out drainage cut or an exceptionally thick area. Something too overwhelming for them to traverse or bust through. Lots of hunters are lazy...

Take your best guess then put boots on the ground. If you find suspected bedding and you can see how a driver would take the easy way out and skirt around it, as long as there's decent sign give it a whirl.

Are there any swamps in your area? A mountain side is easier to drive than a swamp... If I was a deer I know where I'd be.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 am

This area as I mentioned has a maintanance road on the top the length of it some of the amish get together to drive sometimes more then the legal amount of 25 ,they use there bikes to travel ,just looking for ways to find the areas that are missed ,it's mainly timber , some clearcuts and mountain laurel ,My thoughts are to cyber scout get away from all trails and roads and look for steep and dense cover down off the top.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am

Any sinkholes?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”